• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A pretty neat DIY nest

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 2 2020 - 6:42 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

So I've been using these containers from Target as outworlds for a long time now: https://www.target.c...53/-/A-53659329 They're excellent. The largest container always messed with me though due to it's funky shape. But the other day I got an amazing idea for how to use it as a 2-in-1 nest. So here we go!

This was how the empty container looked, in case you're too lazy to click the link. I don't blame you.

IMG 20200331 162737411

Once I had it, I prepared it by outlining the chamber design I had in mind within the smaller section of the container, like so:

IMG 20200331 203902238
IMG 20200331 203913355

I purposely made the chambers pretty large, as I was going to be moving my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony with ~500 workers into it. If I was planning to have this made for a smaller species, I would have opted for smaller chambers and done more individual layers.

Once I was satisfied with my chamber designs, I capped off the opening of the small section with a piece of cardboard, sealing the openings with some more clay. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it, so RIP to that I guess. Basically I did this so that I could pour the plaster (nest material I chose to use) into the side section without it flowing out into the main section. It ended up working really well.

Now once the plaster hardened, I had to of course remove it in order to remove the clay that I used for the chamber designs. I had originally planned on just pushing it out the side, but I quickly realized that I was a moron and completely missed the fact that the small area had a dovetail design, locking the plaster in. No matter, though, as I just drilled a small hole in the bottom and pushed upwards with an old chopstick, making the mold slide right out. Nice.

IMG 20200331 225622290

Once I got the mold out, I removed all the clay and cleaned it off.

IMG 20200331 224822400
IMG 20200331 224825288
IMG 20200331 224830451

Now for the final stretch, just placing it back inside the container. It slid back inside very smoothly, and looked great.

IMG 20200331 225458741
IMG 20200331 225503552
IMG 20200331 225454773

You can probably see in that last picture that I decided to have one nest entrance on the top, and one on the bottom. I did this to have some added depth, and because I think it was a nice way to incorporate the top section of the nest. Let me know what you think of this, like would you prefer just one nest entrance? Only the top, or only the bottom? I couldn't decide myself, so I just went with both.

Well, after all was said and done, I decorated the container a little bit to give it a more friendly feeling. Here's how that turned out:

IMG 20200331 230912058

I honestly couldn't be happier with the result here. I've had many failed DIY nests in the past, so this success was a nice surprise. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this, lol. My Camponotus still haven't moved in, but I think it's because the humidity is still far too high. Rinsing off the mold definitely didn't help. Hopefully once it dries out more they'll use it, because their current nest (TarheelAnts phalanx) is literally overflowing with workers.

• Barristan, Nare, ANTdrew and 4 others like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 2 2020 - 7:37 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Very nice nest, I would adapt it to be more natural personally but the concept is great.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:09 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would start to make multiple to make a lucrative business out of them...

So I've been using these containers from Target as outworlds for a long time now: https://www.target.c...53/-/A-53659329 They're excellent. The largest container always messed with me though due to it's funky shape. But the other day I got an amazing idea for how to use it as a 2-in-1 nest. So here we go!

This was how the empty container looked, in case you're too lazy to click the link. I don't blame you.

Once I had it, I prepared it by outlining the chamber design I had in mind within the smaller section of the container, like so:

I purposely made the chambers pretty large, as I was going to be moving my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony with ~500 workers into it. If I was planning to have this made for a smaller species, I would have opted for smaller chambers and done more individual layers.

Once I was satisfied with my chamber designs, I capped off the opening of the small section with a piece of cardboard, sealing the openings with some more clay. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it, so RIP to that I guess. Basically I did this so that I could pour the plaster (nest material I chose to use) into the side section without it flowing out into the main section. It ended up working really well.

Now once the plaster hardened, I had to of course remove it in order to remove the clay that I used for the chamber designs. I had originally planned on just pushing it out the side, but I quickly realized that I was a moron and completely missed the fact that the small area had a dovetail design, locking the plaster in. No matter, though, as I just drilled a small hole in the bottom and pushed upwards with an old chopstick, making the mold slide right out. Nice.

Once I got the mold out, I removed all the clay and cleaned it off.

Now for the final stretch, just placing it back inside the container. It slid back inside very smoothly, and looked great.

You can probably see in that last picture that I decided to have one nest entrance on the top, and one on the bottom. I did this to have some added depth, and because I think it was a nice way to incorporate the top section of the nest. Let me know what you think of this, like would you prefer just one nest entrance? Only the top, or only the bottom? I couldn't decide myself, so I just went with both.

Well, after all was said and done, I decorated the container a little bit to give it a more friendly feeling. Here's how that turned out:

I honestly couldn't be happier with the result here. I've had many failed DIY nests in the past, so this success was a nice surprise. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this, lol. My Camponotus still haven't moved in, but I think it's because the humidity is still far too high. Rinsing off the mold definitely didn't help. Hopefully once it dries out more they'll use it, because their current nest (TarheelAnts phalanx) is literally overflowing with workers.

Also, can we both agree the Phalnax is one of the better THA nests? I mean think about it

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:19 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Now that's a pretty neat DIY nest.

• CheetoLord02 and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 5:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I might try it some day.
  • CheetoLord02, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 3 2020 - 5:14 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Yeah I work at target and have thought about those... you stole my Idea, I was going to do the same thing next week once I got my paycheck but I would make mine with red sand to make it red 

• CheetoLord02 and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 7:37 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Target red :whistle: ?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:26 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

that's a cool container! and nest you made there. 

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 8:29 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I love it. you gave me some good ideas! Here is a question. Would you recommend plaster or grout for an ant nest. Or some other undisclosed material...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:25 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I love it. you gave me some good ideas! Here is a question. Would you recommend plaster or grout for an ant nest. Or some other undisclosed material...

Honestly, not really sure. I'm experimenting right now, as I've made grout nests in the past with limited success, so I decided to try plaster. However, with my grout nests I made them "wrong" because I didn't mix the grout with perlite, so it's relatively nonabsorbent on it's own. Plaster on the other hand is very absorbent without needing any additives, which is nice, but it's also more likely to develop mold. Personally I'm liking plaster purely because it cures much faster (1 hour vs. 24 hours for grout) and it doesn't need any additives, but if it ends up growing mold super easily then I'll probably reconsider. Only time will tell.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#11 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:26 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Yeah I work at target and have thought about those... you stole my Idea, I was going to do the same thing next week once I got my paycheck but I would make mine with red sand to make it red 

Target gang! I work at Target as well, lol. It's cool to see that my idea was shared by some other antkeepers as well. Hopefully this post helps you make yours, and I hope it turns out just as well as mine!

#12 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:28 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Also, can we both agree the Phalnax is one of the better THA nests? I mean think about it

Yeah, I've had no issues with it. I actually got mine as a hand-me-down from mdrogun without the included outworld, but I just made my own outworld and the nest itself still functions really well. Personally my favorite THA nest so far has been the casita, and I'm also going to be buying a labrynth soon, but yep, the phalanx is a great nest (just like all THA nests lol)

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:47 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

agreed

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 9:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Which is better, hydrostone or perlite? Because what i am reading is that hydrostone is resistant to water.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, April 4 2020 - 9:53 AM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 9:54 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

And where does everyone get these materials?

#16 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:40 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

And where does everyone get these materials?

For this particular nest I got the plaster at Ace hardware and the clay and container at Target. I noticed the Ace also had grout, but I'm not sure if it would have the perlite additive needed with grout. I know hydrostone can be found online, but I'm not sure if any stores carry it. I've never personally worked with hydrostone so I can't say anything about it's effectiveness.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:52 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

so, any perlite would work, because what i am seeing is that it is for plants. is that the right kind?

#18 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 27 2020 - 11:58 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Some updates with these: I moved my Camponotus into the one shown above, and while they liked it, the visibility within the nest left a little to be desired, especially after they coated the walls with sand making it even more difficult to see. I eventually moved them out into a horizontal ytong nest purely for visibility. Functionally, my nest worked fine. I even made a second one with smaller chambers for my new 2 queen Crematogaster lineolata colony and they seem to like it much more than the Camponotus did, and with them the visibility is significantly better.

#19 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 28 2020 - 12:20 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

So after the success I had with my last DIY nest I decided to make a few more plaster nests, but smaller this time. I have several test tube colonies that are looking a little cramped, but instead of spending tons of money on mini hearths, I instead took inspiration from THA's old discontinued Talus nest and made my own version of it. Using the small square containers from Target (linked in first post here) I laid a strip of clay along one side to act as the nest chamber, then slanted the container and poured in my plaster to cover it. From there it was easy to knock the mold off of the wall, remove the clay, replace the mold, and then pour a second batch of plaster to create a flattened foraging space. I ended up making four total, but here I'll only show pics of 2 to keep things brief.

Here you can see what a single-chamber design looks like. It also clearly shows the 2 separate batches of plaster used, where some of the others blended a little better.
IMG 20200428 011823254 HDR

IMG 20200428 011839237 HDR

And here's a 2-chambered design. Pretty spiffy, huh? I designed this one specifically for my Monomorium minimum as they had basically filled their test tube to the brim with brood. They definitely appreciate the extra space that the 2nd chamber provides.

IMG 20200428 011922428 HDR
IMG 20200428 011928673 HDR

I also designed a 2-chamber nest that has both chambers extend the entire length of the container, but for this specific one I didn't need that much space.

Each container also has an airtight lid that I drilled a hole in and affixed a mesh to, so escapes are fully contained while maintaining airflow.

Now, If people are interested, I'd actually be more than willing to sell these (or even the larger ones in this topic as well), so long as the containers are in stock. I actually just bought out the last ones at my local Target, but I'm sure I could get my hands on some more if there is genuine interest in them. I'd charge $15 for the single-chamber design and $20 for the double chamber design. I can also adjust the size of the chambers based on species. I made a 2-chamber nest for my Camponotus novaeboracensis, and while it's currently a little bit big for them (they only really needed one chamber), the size of the chambers themselves are perfect.

Edited by CheetoLord02, April 28 2020 - 12:21 AM.

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 28 2020 - 3:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very elegant design! How do you hydrate the new ones?
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users