• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Atta HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Tfisupe - Posted April 1 2020 - 7:43 PM

Tfisupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have recently acquired 5 atta Texanas but after a week there is no sign of fungus or eggs, at least that I can see. Should I be more patient or am I in trouble?
  • jushi likes this

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 1 2020 - 7:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have recently acquired 5 atta Texanas but after a week there is no sign of fungus or eggs, at least that I can see. Should I be more patient or am I in trouble?

I have personally never kept Atta myself, but have done lots of research on the genus and am a keeper of two related Attine species, Cyphomyrmex rimosus and Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, so I may be able to help. I am sure that the queens do, in fact, have fungus, as the queens are fully claustral and would have no reason to not have any fungus, unlike queens of semi-claustral genera such as Acromyrmex or Trachymyrmex. I would suggest giving these queens as much privacy as possible, and only checking on them once a week, if even that. If you are patient, your queens will spit out their fungal pellet and eventually lay eggs. Also, be sure the queens are kept in a nest that is well hydrated, as if the nest is not well hydrated, the queens will never bother spitting out their fungal pellet and will eventually die without producing anything. I suggest keeping them on hydrostone or some other form of plaster, just something that retainly humidity well. I wish you the best of luck with these queens!

• VenomousBeast, Manitobant and jushi like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users