• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Pallidefulva

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted April 1 2020 - 9:15 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
My small colony of 12 Formica pallidefulva moved into a mini hearth 3 days ago and since then one worker has had all the eggs in her mandibles, not once have I seen that once worker drop the eggs. The good thing is that the pile is getting larger every day. What might cause this worker to continually carry the eggs around, stress?
Also on the most humid part of the nest is a pile of round things that look like eggs, not sure what they are because they are so much larger.

Edited by Amazant, April 1 2020 - 9:15 AM.

• RushmoreAnts likes this
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:21 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I believe workers carry brood around constantly to protect them, as they were exposed to light.

• CheetoLord02 and Amazant like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:26 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Those larger objects could be larvae, or else the sand and gristle that is in the Mini Hearth. You shouldn't worry about the worker carrying the eggs all the time, this is completely normal.

• CheetoLord02, RushmoreAnts and Amazant like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:38 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
Ants will carry any stage of brood around when in danger.
  • CheetoLord02, Amazant and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Myrmica sp.

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:45 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
That makes sense. When they were in a test tube setup exposed to bright lights from the window and fish tank they never did that but I think it may be because there is so much more space in the mini hearth compared to the test tube. Also I’ll try to get some pictures of the egg looking things. I don’t think they are larvae because the larvae of this species is usually quite long and have a black spot in the middle. Which the egg looking things don’t have.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#6 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 10:53 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Larvae of all species have a meconium.

• Amazant likes this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#7 Offline Amazant - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:02 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

It might be sand but it looks somewhat like eggs.

#8 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:09 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

I don't know, it looks like sand to me..........

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,772 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You should have seen the meconium that came out when my son was born! It wasn’t pretty.
  • RushmoreAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:38 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
Oh my...........
  • FeedTheAnts, CheetoLord02 and Amazant like this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:38 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

that's a little tmi...just a little

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#12 Offline Amazant - Posted April 1 2020 - 11:41 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

Larvae of all species have a meconium.

Yes I know, once they pupate it excretes the meconium. I was just saying that since the spherical egg looking stuff doesn’t have the dark spot it is probably not a larvae.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users