• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kansas Ant iD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:13 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I caught ten queens on March 4th, 5 prenolepis imparis and 5 other queens that are the same species that I’m not sure of. They were caught on a lake drifting in the current the wind was creating. I caught them on a dock as they drifted past. It was around 1:30 when I caught the unknown species and around 30 minutes later no more of them were seen on the water and prenolepis imparis started to show up. There were tons of males in the water as well. I also went on a walk and didn’t find any which was strange. Based on some information I have found while researching these ants seem a lot like myrmica because they have spikes on their abdomen and have a similar body shape as well as stingers. They also have many hairs covering their bodies. The only thing that does not match up is the time myrmica usually fly which is around August from what I’ve read.

Some pictures

Thank you
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:42 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Myrmica sp.

• Martialis and Amazant like this

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Most North American Myrmica are pretty much impossible to identify without a genetic analysis.
  • Amazant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 9:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
This also means their care is also identical.
  • Amazant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Broncos - Posted March 30 2020 - 7:20 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Some sort of myrmica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Broncos, March 30 2020 - 7:20 PM.

• Amazant likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:54 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

how large are they? it's too early for myrmica to be flying, but stenamma fly around this time, and look very similar to myrmica. If they're ~4mm, they're stenamma.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted March 31 2020 - 1:34 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Though there is a point regarding the nuptial flight season the over all externally discernible characters would lead me to say a Myrmica species.   My position is based on the petiole widths as seen dorsally which in Stenamma are generally much more slender and not as wide as those in Myrmica.  Pilosity might be important but that may vary in species in either genus. I am also considering the overall cephalic size with regard to the rest of the of body which in gynes of Myrmica appears to be larger than in Stenamma.  If you could get a mm body length measurement that would be good too.  Anyway, may you take good care of her.

• Robert likes this

#8 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 31 2020 - 11:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Stenamma also have a prominent petiolar "stem" which is lacking in other Myrmicines. I'd definitely say this is Myrmica. The propodeal spines and sculpturing suggest so.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 31 2020 - 12:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
As previously mentioned, a measurement would be helpful.......
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users