• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I've caught a Pogonomyrmex pima queen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 29 2020 - 1:19 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

So yeah, I found a Pogonomyrmex pima queen under a rock last week with a little bit of brood. Managed to catch her and 2 decent sized larvae, but one has mysteriously disappeared, so we're down to one. She's a skiddish one and I'm trying not to disturb her too much. She's kept in a covered test tube, heated with a heating cable and with substrate from the area where she was caught.

Right now I've only fed her chia seeds (it's all I have), and while she's moved them from one side of the test tube to the other, I don't know if she's actually eating them. She hasn't laid any new eggs, but she seems to be doing relatively ok.

Now, I've never kept this genus at all, and I know that pima isn't exactly similar to other Pogonomyrmex, but I'm wondering if there's any advice that you guys think I should know, specifically regarding diet and other things concerning founding Pogonomyrmex queens. I kinda suck with semiclaustral species and have had limited success, but I'm hoping I can pull this off with some help from you guys.

• AnthonyP163, FSTP, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
She probably ate the other larva.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 29 2020 - 9:02 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No one really knows much about pima. They've been seen eating seeds and arthropods like normal, but that's it.

#4 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 29 2020 - 7:01 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Do you think its a queen from this year? I saw some Pogonomyrex getting ready to fly today but they are supposed to fly later in the year.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#5 Offline zantezaint - Posted March 29 2020 - 8:38 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County
Try fruit flies. If you want to catch wild fruit flies, place a jar outside with a slice of banana in it, and then wait for a few hours and trap them with the lid, or use a cone shaped funnel atop the jar to trap them as they go in.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 30 2020 - 7:07 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Do you think its a queen from this year? I saw some Pogonomyrex getting ready to fly today but they are supposed to fly later in the year.

Unlikely, she seemed to already be in the late stages of founding.

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 5 2020 - 3:21 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

not planning on making this a journal or anything, but she's laid a few eggs, so i guess i'm doing at least something right!

• zantezaint likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users