• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What other pets do you have? (Besides ants)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 25 2020 - 6:33 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Hey guys! Well, the other pet our family has, is a winter white hamster. Sadly, she died today:( We will probably get another one soon though. What other pets do you guys have?  

Attached Images

• hamy.jpg

• Ant Broski, Mettcollsuss, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#Ants4Life

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 6:49 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have two cats

also RIP hammy

• Ant Broski, AntsDakota, AntsExodus and 2 others like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 26 2020 - 6:50 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Cats.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:01 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Cats x3, Leopard Gecko x1, Giant Day Gecko x1, Corn Snake x1, Polistes sp. queen x1, Scarab Beetle grub x2, Eastern Bark Centipede x1.

• AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Thunder_Birds like this

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:02 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
5 cats, a four-toed hedgehog, a greenbottle blue tarantula, and a 44 gallon community fishtank.
  • TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Two guinea pigs, a german shepherd, and two species of jumping spider.

• Mettcollsuss and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
It seems a good percentage of ant keepers also have cats......
  • Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:38 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I want a siamese cat, but, my mom is highly allergic, so that ain't happening for a while.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I want a siamese cat, but, my mom is highly allergic, so that ain't happening for a while.

I have two Siamese. One is almost three years old and the other is almost one.

• AntsDakota likes this

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:57 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I also have a cat, plus legions of fish (if 7 counts as legions...). I also used to keep ducks (I had 4, but 1 died  :*( ).

• AntsDakota likes this

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 26 2020 - 8:54 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

cat, dog, fish x17, shrimp, caryfish, chickens x5, duck, jumping spiders x2(soon to get more), scorpions x7, isopods x150-200(soon to get more), springtails x200-300(soon to get more), millipedes x170-200, symphylans x20-30, diplurans x7-10, flat bugs x6-10, harvestmen x8, and maybe a few other assorted things.

• Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and TheMicroPlanet like this

#12 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 26 2020 - 8:56 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

cat, dog, fish x17, shrimp, caryfish, chickens x5, duck, jumping spiders x2(soon to get more), scorpions x7, isopods x150-200(soon to get more), springtails x200-300(soon to get more), millipedes x170-200, symphylans x20-30, diplurans x7-10, flat bugs x6-10, harvestmen x8, and maybe a few other assorted things.

Good heavens, what do you do when you go on vacation?

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 26 2020 - 8:58 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We don't :lol:

Well we rarely do, but most of these animals are self sufficient to some extent. The rest can be given away temporarily. Another thing is my family usually travels with one member at home to take care of animals and plants.

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 9:05 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have two Siamese. One is almost three years old and the other is almost one.

My one cat is a Siamese-Turtle mix (she got the Siamese half) and her sister got mostly the Turtle half lol, they don't look like sisters but are

Both of mine are pushing 20 btw

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 26 2020 - 9:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Wow....... I think that’s over 100 in cat years.......

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 26 2020 - 10:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have a 3.5 year old human and a two year old human larvae. Anyone want to adopt them??
  • FSTP, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 26 2020 - 10:18 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think it violates forum rule number eight...

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 26 2020 - 11:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Pip:
Tom:

Cute, arent they?
  • AntsDakota, TheMicroPlanet and Thunder_Birds like this

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 26 2020 - 12:02 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

The bottom one looks like he/she's up to something...

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 26 2020 - 12:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yup, up to napping. It is his second favorite thing bedides eating hay.

Edited by NickAnter, March 26 2020 - 12:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users