• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Devi's Pogonomyrmex Journal

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:31 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Prologue:  December 25th, 2020

Hey guys!

Merry Christmas! (as of now at least)  I hope everyone's day is going well.  For those of you that don't know, this summer I was lucky enough to find a pogonomyrmex flight near me.  I excitedly called up Spazmops and he met me there where we collected 30ish queens.  We sold most of them, but I kept one for myself and was really excited about her.  She ended up being a dud.  I did all I could, I got her extra heat, premium seeds, but she wouldn't eat, or lay brood.  She eventually died in the mini hearth nest.  For time reference this was around August I'd guess.  I actually had a journal for her but it got closed for obvious reasons.  Ever since then, I've been sad that I didn't have Pogonomyrmex because I really like their habits such as eating seeds, and their coloration.  I thought about what to do for a few months, and then went ahead and ordered some from THA.  I purchased a 20+ colony, and a labyrinth for them to go in.  I also bought them a large pack of dandelion seeds as well as Kentucky blue grass seeds.  I have been really worried about them because they had been shipping for a really long time, and were a week late.  Well, they arrived yesterday!  I wanted to wait a day to write the journal so I could get some initial information about them.  They were all alive much to my delight, and I count at least 40 which is tremendous.  I saw at least 5 callows too so I'm glad the brood is developing well!  After unpackaging everything and setting up the labyrinth, I put the test tube in the outworld and removed the cotton ball.  Let me just say, these ants have an attitude.  They immediately starting swarming the outworld and boiled out in a rage.  I think they were really happy to have some extra room.  I know that a labyrinth is a bit large for them right now, but I wanted something that they could live in for a while so I didn't have to upgrade for a while.  As of now, they are pretty much using the labyrinth as a glorified tubs and tubes setup, and they only nest in their test tube, but I completely expected that and am OK with that.  I had a nestmate in the nest, but they weren't really going in the nest so they didn't see it.  I rummaged around and found a byFormica liquid feeder, filled it up, and put it in the outworld.  After attacking it for a bit, they realized that it was a water source, and at the time of writing there is a worker (or 2!) in each port.  They are really thirsty so I'm glad I added the feeder.   I also fed them a large pinch of blue grass seeds, and they immediately started bringing them all in the test tube.  They brought about 30 in, and are leaving the rest for later.  I saw the queen, (who I think I'm naming Queen Maphys) a couple of times, and she looks all healthy which is wonderful.  I can't believe how good the labyrinth looks.  I knew it would be good, but it definitely exceeded my expectations.  I am going to set up heating today, I've got a small under tank heating pad that I've set aside for them.  Overall I am so excited that I got them and really enjoying them so far.  Right now I have them in the corner of my desk, so I can look over at them when I'm working on my device or working at my desk.  I'm loving it!  I think that might be their permanent spot.  I'm sitting at my desk to write this journal so I can monitor them well.  Lol.  A few worker go in the nest, but not many.  As of now, there are 4 workers exploring. 

Wow, I just read this and realized how disorganized this is and how it jumps around a lot.  Sorry about that. 

Anyway, I'm super excited to see this colony grow, and I am planning on giving weekly updates.  I will add pics when I get good ones.  I am also getting a macro lens soon to help with that.  If you have any names for the colony, let me know!  I'm still coming up with them.  Thanks for reading everybody!  I plan to update about once a week.  

-Devi

Pics: 

Workers taking a drink from a byFormica liquid feeder.20201225_113632.jpg 20201225_132305.jpg

Edited by Devi, December 25 2020 - 4:33 PM.

• MrPurpleB, TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806 and 3 others like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 25 2020 - 11:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I will be following this. 

• Devi likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 12:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very happy for you, dude! I told you not to lose hope! I look forward to following this journal for many years to come.
I bet you could get them fully in the nest by blowing on them frequently with a straw. Direct sunlight might really get them moving, too.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 12:19 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Very happy for you, dude! I told you not to lose hope! I look forward to following this journal for many years to come.
I bet you could get them fully in the nest by blowing on them frequently with a straw. Direct sunlight might really get them moving, too.

Yes, I am very excited!  You were right.  Thanks for the advice, I am busy right now hooking up their heating source.  Hopefully that will make them more active.  I am putting it more on the nest, and not on the test tube to encourage moving.  As for moving would you suggest covering up the nest with black paper or something so they can't see light?  For the straw blowing idea, do you mean like in the test tube, in the outworld, I'm guessing angled by the test tube?  Thanks, again!

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely cover the glass with something to make the nest dark. Blow air direct into their tube to make it uncomfortable for them. Do it every twenty minutes or so until they get moving.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:25 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I think I'm going to give them tonight to move, and then dump them.

• ANTdrew likes this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, that sounds good. Give them time to explore, so they know where to go after you dump them.
  • Devi likes this

#8 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:30 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Yeah, that sounds good. Give them time to explore, so they know where to go after you dump them.

There have been a few workers in there all day, so I think they know the layout.  I have had the heating on for a few hours now, so everything should be stable for their dump tomorrow morning.  I'll keep you all updated!  Thanks ANTdrew!

#9 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:43 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I don't really want to wait until tomorrow so I might just dump them now.  I don't really see any harm in soing it now over waiting?

EDIT:  I am proceeding now.  I will hopefully have a good first update tomorrow.  

Edited by Devi, December 25 2020 - 4:46 PM.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 5:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’ll be fine. Just dump them.

#11 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 5:51 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I did.  I'm starting to worry about them though because they have been dumped for about an hour, but they are all swarming the outworld and won't go into the nest...  I have it covered with a piece of black paper.  Hopefully they go tonight.  I'm pretty worried about them!  

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 6:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just keep blowing on them. Also make sure you remove the cotton in the tube going down into the nest. I learned that the hard way!
  • Devi likes this

#13 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 6:46 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Huh, mine didn't have cotton.  Or at least I didn't see any?  

#14 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:02 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Have you seen ants in the nest at all?

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#15 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:09 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Yes, they go in every now and then.

#16 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:37 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Yes, they go in every now and then.

Maybe they think the nest is too large

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#17 Offline Devi - Posted December 26 2020 - 7:27 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Update 01:  December 26th, 2020

Yesterday evening, I took their test tube, (with genesis test tube insert) and dumped out all workers, queen, and brood into the outworld.  They all kind of freaked out which is to be expected.  They made two groups, one in a corner with most of the brood, and one in a different corner with the queen.  I'm assuming they split up to try to protect their queen and brood.  I blew in their outworld with a straw for a while, every now and then for about two hours.  Eventually, I got tired and went to bed.  When I got up this morning, I immediately went over to check on them.  I checked their outworld, and was met with good news.  I didn't see any brood or the queen.  For the moment of truth, I took the black paper off of the nest.  They formed two groups, one all the way in the back of the tunnels where they kind of wrap around, and one near the entrance of the nest and outworld.  The queen was found at the latter.  They didn't really like when I took off the paper, but that is also to be expected.  I'm hoping that they will make one group to protect the queen and brood, for some reason they are splitting off from each other a lot.  I also added some more seeds to the outworld, I want them to have more than less.  Hopefully this makes them grow faster.  All is good for them, and they have about half of their workers in the outworld, with the rest in the nest.  It seems like a lot in the outworld, but if that's what they feel comfortable with then that's good.  Thank you for reading!

-Devi

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and AleeGuy like this

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 26 2020 - 7:51 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Thinking of ordering a ten worker colony but I don't want them to die again. 

• Devi likes this

#19 Offline Devi - Posted December 26 2020 - 6:47 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Thinking of ordering a ten worker colony but I don't want them to die again. 

Was it a DOA or did they die when you had them?  Who did you buy them from?

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 27 2020 - 8:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Update 01:  December 26th, 2020

Yesterday evening, I took their test tube, (with genesis test tube insert) and dumped out all workers, queen, and brood into the outworld.  They all kind of freaked out which is to be expected.  They made two groups, one in a corner with most of the brood, and one in a different corner with the queen.  I'm assuming they split up to try to protect their queen and brood.  I blew in their outworld with a straw for a while, every now and then for about two hours.  Eventually, I got tired and went to bed.  When I got up this morning, I immediately went over to check on them.  I checked their outworld, and was met with good news.  I didn't see any brood or the queen.  For the moment of truth, I took the black paper off of the nest.  They formed two groups, one all the way in the back of the tunnels where they kind of wrap around, and one near the entrance of the nest and outworld.  The queen was found at the latter.  They didn't really like when I took off the paper, but that is also to be expected.  I'm hoping that they will make one group to protect the queen and brood, for some reason they are splitting off from each other a lot.  I also added some more seeds to the outworld, I want them to have more than less.  Hopefully this makes them grow faster.  All is good for them, and they have about half of their workers in the outworld, with the rest in the nest.  It seems like a lot in the outworld, but if that's what they feel comfortable with then that's good.  Thank you for reading!

-Devi

Yeah, I wasn't worried about them moving at all. It just takes a little time, that's all.

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users