• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can I have help moveing a tetramorium imagrans colony

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AdamL - Posted March 23 2020 - 12:00 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I would like to move a tetramorium imagrans colony from there old moldy test tube to a ant Aus starter y tong nest. I have a 15 watt heating cabel a, fish tank bubbeler , and multiple flash lights. The colony has 1 queen about 25 workers and about 40 brood eny thing would help thanks.

#2 Offline Whitelotus - Posted March 23 2020 - 12:04 PM

Whitelotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California
The colony seems a bit small to be moved at this point but the mold is a cause for concern. I would advise covering the ytong nest in darkness and lighting the test tube to “expose” the ants to the light. It may make them move, it may not, some colonies are stubborn when it comes to moving. You could heat the nest as well to provide a bit more comfort with a heating cable. Just be patient through the process.

#3 Offline AdamL - Posted March 23 2020 - 12:29 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Is lighting room light or a flash light, and the heating cabel seems a little hot, so there attracted to that much heat, and ya my colony is really stubborn.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2020 - 12:53 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I suggest moving them into a clean test tube first and letting them build up more numbers before a full formicarium. Tetras prefer to feel cramped by nature.
Put the clean tube right up next to the old one and give them a few days to explore. Then darken the new tube and put a strong light over the old tube. A flashing light is even better. Gently tapping their tube or blowing air will help get them moving if necessary. Be patient a bit of mold in a test tube will not harm them.
  • Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline AdamL - Posted March 23 2020 - 12:57 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
How much is some more numbers 50, 75 workers?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2020 - 1:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Keep ‘em warm and well fed with lots of protein, and you’ll have 100+ in a month. Move them then.
  • Manitobant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline AdamL - Posted March 23 2020 - 1:08 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok thank you

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 23 2020 - 6:05 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They do grow that fast. I had a colony, and, like ANTdrew said, they will grow really fast. If the test tube still holds water, i would wait until it is packed with workers before move it. They are really cool ants to keep. Good Luck! :)

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users