• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 19 2020 - 8:22 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I know that a lot of species need hibernation in order to be successful. Do ants in southern California need hibernation? If so, what is the best way to go about doing so? Is their anyway to avoid fridge hibernation?

Edited by M_Ants, March 19 2020 - 8:23 PM.

• Broncos likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted March 20 2020 - 5:36 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I know that a lot of species need hibernation in order to be successful. Do ants in southern California need hibernation? If so, what is the best way to go about doing so? Is their anyway to avoid fridge hibernation?

No normally ants in Southern California don’t need hibernation unless they get extremely cold temperatures where they are from. Tall mountains for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 20 2020 - 6:10 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I was thinking about starting a topic like this because I had some questions too, so thanks for making this topic:) I think Broncos answered your question, by the way M_Ants ;) Ok, so I live in South Dakota, and it gets very cold here, and with my colony for the past 3 winters I have not hibernated them. I did this because they were in a test tube and I didn't want the cotton ball in there to freeze and water come out and flood the ants. Now, they are in a mini hearth, and now I feel more comfortable hibernating them. But, I know hibernating can be dangerous for the ants. So, is it possible to never hibernate the ants? I know it's better for them if they are hibernated though... if I do hibernate them, have any tips, just like what M_Ants said?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 6:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
The ants will do much better if they are hibernated. And besides- they don’t need to go in the garage. A refrigerator should work just fine.
  • Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 20 2020 - 7:33 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Awesome, thanks.

#Ants4Life

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 9:26 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
No problem.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 20 2020 - 10:38 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I was thinking about buying Camponotus Vicinus from Badant. He says he caught the queen in Big Bear so I'm assuming they need hibernation?

• Broncos likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 20 2020 - 10:46 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I was thinking about buying Camponotus Vicinus from Badant. He says he caught the queen in Big Bear so I'm assuming they need hibernation?

Yes. They would. As a rule of thumb, most areas that get a decent amount of snow in the winter hibernate.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 20 2020 - 11:27 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Yep. Not for me then. Don't have the patience. :)

• Broncos and Thunder_Birds like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 20 2020 - 11:52 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I actually kind of like it. It means you can look forward to something else besides speing break, as well as the fact that it gives you a break which allows you to put more focus into colonies thay are active year round.

• Broncos likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline Broncos - Posted March 20 2020 - 11:59 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Yep. Not for me then. Don't have the patience. :)

Pogonomyrmex is a good species because they are very hard workers and most don’t hibernate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ANTL0VE likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 12:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Except some occidentalis. They’re actually quite prevalent in the arid regions of South Dakota.

#13 Offline M_Ants - Posted March 20 2020 - 12:58 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Yeah if I actually could find queens and had other colonies to enjoy that didn't hibernate I wouldn't mind.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users