• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

San Diego Ant Watch

anting

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 6 2020 - 4:10 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Unfortunately their I don't think I've ever seen even a worker. They don't seem to live anywhere near me.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#62 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm sure they're down there, they are very cryptic. Just look around every warm, humid morning in June and July.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#63 Offline ariaant - Posted May 6 2020 - 9:30 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Well I did some anting last year in San Diego or its immediate vicinity; hope my experiences can help you.

Last year I was able to find tons of S molesta, S xyloni, and a few rare crematogaster queens in June within 1/4 mile of my house in Tierrasante.  I used to live just west of the Mission trails regional park and at all of the smaller western entrances to the park in the warmer June days at around sunset I ve seen clouds of mating flights: to include all of the species mentioned earlier and several other species that I wasnt interested in cause they were too small.  Even in my immediate neighborhood (literally by my garage) I have found xyloni and crematogaster queens in that time frame.  I have found P rugosus colonies in Santee although I have never seen a flight there.  I found one P californicus queen across the street from the oak oasis county preserve by dumb luck I think in June or July in the late AM (this species colonies can be found pretty easily all over eastern San Diego County that isn't completely developed).   

However if you want the more desirable species (at least by my standards) you are going to have to drive.  I have found Camponotus Ca02 in Pine Valley center.  The city of Anza Borrego has plenty of desert species (I found my veromessor pergandei queen randomly by the dinosaur sculptures by luck in early March).  Ocotillo has plenty of veromessor pprgandei but it was a bust for me in terms of finding queens ( I went there in July after their first, mild summer storm but they didn't get enough rain, I guess. Or I just didn't look in the right places).  But I had a very successful trip to 29 palms when they had their first large summer rains: I still have 4 honey pot, a phediole, and 2 P rugosus colonies from that trip.  Although 29 palms is a longer drive than Ocotillo for me the large amount of rain (their first rain) that 29 palms received made finding queens a high probability event, which made it worth the drive.

Hope this helps  

• Solenoqueen and M_Ants like this

#64 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 6 2020 - 10:12 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Thankyou so much! I was hoping to find someone from around here with advice.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#65 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 7 2020 - 8:44 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Found a few queens pop out of holes on a beach in San Diego county. I was surprised seeing them there, with the ocean only about 30 feet away.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#66 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 7 2020 - 12:54 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Where?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#67 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:06 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Where?

:>

#68 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, I'm still waiting for the first molesta flight of the year. Should be pretty soon! And sadly no P. navigans for the day. I thought they might have flow this morning but it appears as though they didn't.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#69 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:24 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Loads of Brachymyrmex last night. Nothing else though. :(

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#70 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:34 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Anyone here have any luck with finding rare species like Pseudomyrmex or Stigmatomma? True rarities, but my hope in San Diego is gradually increasing

:>

#71 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:36 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Nope my hope is gradually decreasing. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#72 Offline RationalRo - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:51 PM

RationalRo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Anyone see any Pogonomyrmex spp. flying? I have not been able to go out since I have many tests and assignments :( . Last two days were hot which are one sign of flights (not a strong indicator by any means though).

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I would get my hopes up for local Pogonomyrmex around June. I personally only found one last year in July.

#74 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:40 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Black's Beach, La Jolla. They popped out of the holes. It was daytime. It's a nude beach so um be advised!

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#75 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 8 2020 - 12:32 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Never mind :)

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#76 Offline ariaant - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:31 PM

ariaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Just found a C. Vicinus in Pine valley, 1/2 mile down the pine valley trail head in the early AM.  However I found only that one straggler during a 2 hour hike. Pine valley has had a bunch of hot days in a row, i think i just got lucky and found a lone straggler trying to find a nesting site.  I bet most of the major flights have already taken place there.

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, I am kind of sending a more inexperienced me over to Julian this weekend. My friend is able to go camping there, and he is going to try to find some queens. And he is going to send them to me if he finds any.

#78 Offline toan - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:49 PM

toan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It has been slightly cool and cloudy. I'm going to try some black lighting but not too hopeful. Do you black light at dawn or dusk?

#79 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 12 2020 - 8:00 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Its raining now where I'm at.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#80 Offline RationalRo - Posted May 25 2020 - 6:48 PM

RationalRo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Pogonomyrmex c. flying up north (LA, Riverside, etc.). Anyone spot anything down here?

• M_Ants likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users