• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mating of Pheidologeton diversus. (11 April 2015)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Etherwulf - Posted April 11 2015 - 6:08 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

I caught 8 Pheidologeton diversus males today. Learning from my last experience, I dumped them in a tank and started searching for queens.

I was rewarded with 2 queens, one alate and one dealate.

The alate was drowning in water when I caught it so I figured it probably hasn't mated. Hence, I placed it into the tank of males and grabbed the closest camera near me.

Wow, was that exciting. This is probably the first time I saw Pheidologeton diversus mating up-close. Apparently they mate up to 7 or more times. I definitely counted 6 times at least. ( I had 7 males).

med_gallery_229_388_422777.jpg  

med_gallery_229_388_873060.jpg

med_gallery_229_388_205845.jpg

med_gallery_229_388_429551.jpg

Dealate

med_gallery_229_388_876235.jpg

My set-up now for 4 out of 5 queens

med_gallery_229_388_1212620.jpg

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 11 2015 - 6:20 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Great! First time I see them mating. Good luck!

#3 Offline AntLover101 - Posted April 11 2015 - 7:30 AM

AntLover101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania,USA
Wow! Really cool. Good luck with them :)
I wanna get my hands on some Campontus Pennsylvanicus or Ponera Pennsylvanica Queens!:D

#4 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 11 2015 - 8:54 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Wow!  Do we know for certain this isn't the first time this species has been witnessed mating in captivity? :D

Best of luck!  Color me jealous. 

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#5 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted April 11 2015 - 9:17 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO
Very nice!

This species has mated in captivity before. See:
https://www.antstore...p?f=218&t=16652
Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#6 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted April 11 2015 - 9:20 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Also see:

http://termitesandan...dologetons.html

Edited by Myrmicinae, April 11 2015 - 9:54 PM.

Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#7 Offline Etherwulf - Posted April 11 2015 - 5:34 PM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

The yuku thread was a shameless ripoff from Quah at http://termitesandan...dologetons.html

I would strongly suggest that we do not continue to promote that thread as it is a blatant example of copyright infringement. What's worse is that he actually conjured up a tall tale to fit the stolen photos.His actions are utterly revolting. 

Considering that Alex Wild recently gave up on insect photography because of individuals and companies stealing his work, I believe that copyright infringement of stock photography is a major threat to independent photographers whose survival is dependent on royalties and licensing fees that should be rightfully accorded to them.

Edited by Etherwulf, April 11 2015 - 9:57 PM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#8 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted April 11 2015 - 9:57 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

The yuku thread was a shameless ripoff from Quah at http://termitesandan...dologetons.html

I would strongly suggest that we do not continue to promote that thread as it is a blatant example of copyright infringement. What's worse is that he actually conjured up a tall tale to fit his stolen photos.His actions are utterly revolting. 

Considering that Alex Wild recently quit insect photography because of people stealing his work, I think that copyright infringement of stock photography is a major threat to independent photographers who survive on their work.

Edited.  Thanks for the correction.

Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2015 - 12:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would strongly suggest that we do not continue to promote that thread as it is a blatant example of copyright infringement. What's worse is that he actually conjured up a tall tale to fit the stolen photos.His actions are utterly revolting. 

Considering that Alex Wild recently gave up on insect photography because of individuals and companies stealing his work, I believe that copyright infringement of stock photography is a major threat to independent photographers whose survival is dependent on royalties and licensing fees that should be rightfully accorded to them.

Are you completely sure that's not the same person? That seems really crazy of someone to do that. :lol:

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 12 2015 - 7:59 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Awesome! :)

#11 Offline SMILEforAnts - Posted April 12 2015 - 9:31 PM

SMILEforAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Whaaat! Alex Wild retired? I think I need to start watermarking my pictures, not that it's up to par with Alex Wild's pictures, but I don't want people stealing it and making up stories with it. D:

SMILEforAnts [YouTube channel]

Pictures of my past colony [Pheidole megacephala]

#12 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 13 2015 - 10:13 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

The Anting community should come up with a way for Alex to continue securely sharing his amazing work with us.  Enough of us work in IT, I am sure we could figure something out.

• Jonathan21700 likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users