• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica VS Camponotus in mini hearth

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted March 24 2020 - 9:16 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I would like to know if Formica pallidefulva or Camponotus prefer a mini hearth more than the other or if there is no preference at all. I have a Formica pallidefulva colony with 12 workers that is 1 year old. I also have a Camponotus Queen with some eggs and larvae. I haven’t seen many Formica colonies in mini hearths but I have seen tons of Camponotus in mini hearths which is why I ask.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 24 2020 - 9:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
People seem to keep Camponotus more than Formica. My Formica colonies love Mini Hearths tho. They all do really well in them.
  • CheetoLord02, Nare, Amazant and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted March 24 2020 - 12:22 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
For my first mini hearth I will put my Formica colony in it because she already has workers and Later I’ll get a mini hearth for my Camponotus.
  • TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 2 2020 - 12:10 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I'd like to add to this, Formica seem to do really well in TarheelAnts formicaria (as does everything else). On my youtube I have a video of my Formica dolosa colony in a mini hearth XL. That video is a bit old, I'd say now they're well over 50 workers and still fit comfortably inside. A standard mini hearth will likely hold a Formica colony until around 50 workers or so, so they would likely not outgrow it until next year, which is convenient.

• TennesseeAnts and Amazant like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users