• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hey, so what do you guys think is the best source of protein for ants?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Offline rbarreto - Posted March 11 2020 - 9:20 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Superworms are great!
  • Thunder_Birds likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#42 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 11 2020 - 9:31 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

#Ants4Life

#43 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 3 2020 - 10:04 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Meat in general (like mammal or bird) is surprisingly effective.

Cooked or raw? I’m looking for something new to try with my ants. Fruit flies aren’t providing enough protein for them.
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 3:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
With meats, boiled is best. Whenever my wife makes a soup, I pull bits off whatever meat is in it for my colonies. Small bits of meat dry rock hard in an amazingly short period of time, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#45 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 4 2020 - 3:59 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Helpful thread. Two questions, are any of you concerned about potential insecticide or microbial contamination of your colonies from wild caught feeder insects? Also, any concerns about mite contamination from pet store bought feeder insects over those bought from an insect farm distributor like Rainbow? It would sure be cheaper to catch critters outside but where I live there are 3 farms within spitting distance. All three use fertilizer and some (minimal) insecticides so I’ve avoided home-caught feeders. 

• Temperateants and Thunder_Birds like this

#46 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve been feeding all my colonies wild caught arthropods for years now with no issues. I even think this is one of the keys to my success. That said, you definitely don’t want to collect anything near agriculture. Sadly, hyper-manicured Chemlawn/Trugreen neighbors are probably far worse even than agriculture.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 4 2020 - 5:34 AM.

• ConcordAntman and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#47 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I’ve been feeding all my colonies wild caught arthropods for years now with no issues. I even think this is one of the keys to my success. That said, you definitely don’t want to collect anything near agriculture. Sadly, hyper-manicured Chemlawn/Trugreen neighbors are probably far worse even than agriculture, too.

Same here. I mostly feed mine flies of all types and mosquitoes, which they love.........
  • ConcordAntman likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I actually try to avoid collecting flying things because there’s no telling how far away they’ve been and what they’ve been exposed to. I like terrestrial things like grubs, termites, earwigs, and wild roaches.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#49 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
True, although earwigs are the only things on that list I can at least somewhat collect, although they’re quite uncommon. The rest don’t exist in my yard or anywhere else around.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#50 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 6:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crickets are a good bet for me, too, once it warms up.
  • ConcordAntman and Thunder_Birds like this

#51 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 6:26 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I could catch a couple, but I couldn’t catch them consistently enough to feed all my colonies.

#52 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 4 2020 - 12:01 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Well, my Dubia roaches have arrived. The girls will get some different food today. What about local pet store vs farm distributor mite question?

Edited by ConcordAntman, April 4 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#53 Offline FSTP - Posted April 5 2020 - 3:11 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I usually use the typical protein most people feed thier ants. Crickets, meal worms, fruit flies, blood worms. 

But recently I started a colony of "Little Kenyan" roaches. I must say I love these things. They stay small maxing out at about .5 inches. The nymphs are small enough to be a fruit fly replacement. They don't breed so fast that my ants can't keep up with the supply. If any escape they're not a pest risk as they need some humidity and would just end up desiccating. They can't crawl up smooth surfaces, they can't fly. the males only have small vestigial wings. They don't smell. I think they are just about the perfect feeder. Also for those that may be put off by the sight of a roach they don't look like typical roaches either. They look more like a cross between a small beetle and an isopod. I have mine housed in damp cypress bark and feed them vegetable scraps. All my ants love them. 

I can't recommend them enough. Anyone else keeping Little Kenyan Roaches Blaberidae sp. ? I'll make a seperate thread on how I care for them soon. 

Edited by FSTP, April 5 2020 - 3:13 AM.

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and Temperateants like this

#54 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 5 2020 - 6:52 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I like fruit flies, because my ants are more comfortable with things they can drag back to their nesting area. Going with this logic, baby mealworms would most likely be favourable. In addition, fruit fly maggots are also great. Going on the discussion about the wild caught species, would maggots that grow in my compost be good? Going off of what Antdrew said, these grubs are terrestrial and spend their whole life in the compost.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#55 Offline Broncos - Posted April 5 2020 - 9:51 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I use fruit flies, dubia roaches, mealworms, and crickets. Also some protein jelly and Nurbs' bloodworm soup!

• Temperateants and Thunder_Birds like this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#56 Offline Canadant - Posted April 12 2020 - 3:27 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Haha! Flies are welcome in my home. But BEWARE you may end up in the Pit of Carkoon. Muhahahahahha! (That's my evil laugh).

House flies are great!
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2020 - 3:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I like fruit flies, because my ants are more comfortable with things they can drag back to their nesting area. Going with this logic, baby mealworms would most likely be favourable. In addition, fruit fly maggots are also great. Going on the discussion about the wild caught species, would maggots that grow in my compost be good? Going off of what Antdrew said, these grubs are terrestrial and spend their whole life in the compost.

I think the maggots should be fine. I feed stuff from my compost bin from time to time, including the teeming fruitflies. I just clap my hands and get fivd or six that way.

#58 Offline Serafine - Posted April 13 2020 - 3:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

There is no one best food. Most ants prefer a diverse diet, some even need it.

The more different arthropods you can feed the better. Many ants will also eat stuff like wet cat food, minced meat, ham and shrimps (those are particularly good to provide them with salt).

• FSTP and ANTdrew like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#59 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 13 2020 - 10:09 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Haha! Flies are welcome in my home. But BEWARE you may end up in the Pit of Carkoon. Muhahahahahha! (That's my evil laugh).

House flies are great!

Crickets are a good bet for me, too, once it warms up.

Yeah, Crickets and flies are great. Pretty much all colonies like these.

#Ants4Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users