• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Viewing Ants under a Microscope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:09 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

So a while ago, I was fiddling around with some clay and stuff to make microscope slides so I could view larger samples under my microscope (microbiology is another hobby of mine). Anyway, over the winter, I discovered that I could use this technique to view ants as well, and it works pretty well for me, so I decided to share it.

What you need:

Modeling clay (it doesn't have to be the pro kind; even Play-Doh would work, i guess)

1 Microscope slide (Empty, or blank, whichever refers to a slide that isn't being used for samples)

1 Cover Slip

What to do:

1. Lay out the microscope slide.

2.  Take some modeling clay and make 4 "walls", each only a few mm high and as wide as the microscope slide. Arrange the "walls" in a square in the middle of the slide.

3. Place the coverslip on the clay square. There should be an empty space in the middle created by the  slide, clay, and cover.

Congratz! You've made a ant microscope viewing thingy. To get the ant inside, I recommend chilling it (just to slow it down, not to kill it) and then dump it in. You may also want to chill the ant whenever you view it under the scope, because it's hard to track moving things under the microscope, especially at high magnifications. And, of course, when you're done with the ant, release it if need be. As far as I know, none of this actually harms the ant, though I think this should be done only with workers.

• ANTdrew, DDD101DDD, OhNoNotAgain and 1 other like this

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:31 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Any feedback?

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

This would probably be a good question for Ziess and gcsnelling, so my answer is to contact them (y) 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 3 2020 - 6:00 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Wow this sounds cool. I don't have a microscope beyond a freebie cellphone attachment thing. Could you post pics?

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 6:01 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

that would be amazing

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 3 2020 - 6:06 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I can post some diagrams... sometime tomorrow

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, March 3 2020 - 6:06 PM.

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 3 2020 - 8:11 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Would also love to see pics through a microscope. 

But wait, you're reminding me that Termitat sells a USB digital microscope.  :blink: I srsly don't need to spend more money but it's been tempting.

https://termitat.com...tal-microscope/

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have always had a problem with viewing ants under my microscope. I have had to use dead ants. I will try this method as soon as i get some clay!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:42 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

But wait, you're reminding me that Termitat sells a USB digital microscope.  :blink: I srsly don't need to spend more money but it's been tempting.

He might have a digital microscope, but if not, it is really hard to get good pics out of a cheaper microscope like mine.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 4 2020 - 12:52 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

He might have a digital microscope, but if not, it is really hard to get good pics out of a cheaper microscope like mine.

I don't have a digital microscope, but I do have a pretty good compound microscope (it wasn't cheap :D ). I have a little adapter that fits on to one of the lenses (my microscope has binocular lenses), and then I can attach an iPhone onto the adapter, line it up with the lense, and take pictures that way. 

Also, diagrams are on their way.

I have always had a problem with viewing ants under my microscope. I have had to use dead ants. I will try this method as soon as i get some clay!

I'm glad I could do some good!  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users