• Ant Chat
  • General Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

OhNoNotAgain Termitat

30 replies to this topic

#21 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 10 2020 - 9:52 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

A couple photos from the past few days. The white plug for the termites' "front door" - with termite-sized holes so they can go check the perimeter.

And also their not very fancy set up in the classroom - same place I left the Uncle Milton. I'm told a lot of kids were really excited to go look at them, and the teacher in that classroom has been letting them go look in small groups.

Attached Files

• ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe and justanotheramy like this

Veromessor: pergandei, andrei

Camponotus: fragilis (separate journal), sansabeanus, vicinus

Prenolepis: imparis

Pogonomyrmex: californicus; subnitidus

Tetramorium: sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis: angusticollis

(Each genus above has its own journal here on Formiculture)

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#22 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:41 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

<adds to list of things I want>

• OhNoNotAgain and TheMicroPlanet like this

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 11 2020 - 1:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

<adds to list of things I want>

For most people, that list’s pretty big.
  • Skwiggledork, Ant_Dude2908 and justanotheramy like this
"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV versionCurrently Keeping: Aphaenogaster picea, Aphaenogaster rudis, Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Formica subsericea, Lasius americanus, Lasius aphidicola, Myrmica sp., Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, Ponera pennsylvanica ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________My Journal__________________________________________________________________________________________<p>Attention South Dakotans! Join us on The SoDAK (Society of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#24 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:21 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

True dat.
In this case I am saved purely by the fact that nothing similar seems to be available in Australia…

Which is a shame, because I think in some ways termites are a better classroom 'pet' than ants — social insect, so can be used to talk about many of the same themes of cooperation etc; but male and female workers, so there's some gender stuff to work with.

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I want a Termitat, but my wife would woop my a**.
  • VenomousBeast likes this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 11 2020 - 4:23 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

But it's so small…

#27 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:19 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Got the Termitat back. Just before everything is shut down to go to "tele-learning" (private school but it's shutting down, and I believe local public schools are as well). I had a feeling that would happen... so I'm glad the kids got to see the termites beforehand. One of the teachers said he was able to use it just a bit ... the week was apparently really hectic for the teachers (no surprise).

The termites look smaller than I remember.  :lol:  The two soldiers are still alive and uneaten!

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 13 2020 - 10:20 PM.

• ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and justanotheramy like this

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#28 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 18 2020 - 3:33 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Watered the Termitat for the first time since I took it to (and from) the school. Hurray for THA syringes. I forgot how much like one of those metal ball in a plastic maze games it is to try to get the water to the right places. Except trying to roll some water around on a bumpy wood surface is harder than those ball mazes! I wound up soaking large sections of wood that termites can't reach (sigh), esp. since I set it upright too soon and it just leaks down the front.

Anyway I counted roughly 24-25 termites (very rough count) and the two soldiers are still alive!

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 18 2020 - 3:35 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#29 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 18 2020 - 4:00 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Termite keeping sounds fun. Of course, keeping any eusocial insect is of interest to me.

• Antennal_Scrobe, OhNoNotAgain and justanotheramy like this

#30 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 25 2020 - 9:13 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

2020.5.25 Quick update.

I've watered the Termitat a couple times. Previously I watered it a week or two ago. Today when I watered, I believe I found what might be the inedible jaws of one of the soldiers (but it's hard to see). They might have finally dispatched and eaten one of the soldiers. Also, unfortunately they seem to be eating away from the visible parts of Termitat ... like in the middle of the wood where I can't see them.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 25 2020 - 10:50 PM.

• Ant_Dude2908, Nare, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#31 Online OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 24 2020 - 3:23 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Just another quick update, but soon after I posted the above, the second soldier disappeared. So I guess the soldiers are gone. I wonder if it's because I didn't water them enough?

It's hard to see if it's damp wood or not as I suspect there's some permanent discoloration in the wood, even though I use only distilled water.

I've watered them a few times and will water them again right now. Last time the nymphs acted thirsty, so I bet I'm underwatering.

Now they are DEFINITELY eating away from the windows, so it's getting hard to see them and what they are up to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users