• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Camponotus nicobarensis (please review for accuracy)

camponotus nicobarensis

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2020 - 9:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Scientific Name:  Camponotus nicobarensis

Common Name:  Sugar ants

Distribution:  Bangladesh, India, Laos, Nicobar Island, Thailand, Vietnam, China

Queen size:  13-15 mm (in a small colony) 

Worker size:  5-7 mm

Median size:  9-11 mm

Major size:  10-12 mm

Natural Habitat:  Rotting wood, underground

Circadian Activity:  Mostly nocturnal, but if provided with food, they are willing to come out and feed.

Mating Flight:  Warm sunny days or after a light rain during July to August.

Queen Founding Method:  Fully Claustral

Monogyne or Polygyne:  Polygmous, though it is best to introduce a queen to another when none have brood or a lone queen to a large colony.

Average time from egg to worker: 1 Month

Recommended Temperature:  Summer: 72 - 82 F/ 22 - 28 C, Winter: 57 - 73 F/ 14 - 23 C

Recommended Humidity: 

Preferred Foods:  A steady supply of honey water and sugar water, i supply a cricket every 3 days, they have a social stomach.

Hibernation Details: None, thought their reproduction rate slows down during the winter.

Escape Barrier Methods:  Alcohol + baby powder works best for me.

Difficulty rating: Very easy: Great for beginners. Hardy and do not panic (much) when put in broad daylight. Reproduce at a medium rate. Do not sting or squirt formic acid of any sort. Will accept many types of food.

Bite and/or Sting rating:  Can bite but the bites are hardly noticeable. Her majesty though will not hesitate to give you a mean chomp.

Special Care or Interesting Notes:  None

Additional Links: https://www.antweb.o...is&rank=species

Information submitted by Leo

• Martialis and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Polygynous and quick to develop? These contradict pennsylvanicus behavior completely. But what do you expect from a tropical species, anyways?

Edited by AntsDakota, March 3 2020 - 5:00 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:39 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

coupled with their unique colors, the difference doesn't surprise me...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 5:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Although color doesn’t affect growth rate any.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 4 2020 - 5:40 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Yeah, I mean the North American species, Camponotus socius, has the exact same coloration, and they are strictly monogynous. Being tropical and having a bright coloration has no affect on polygyny.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 3:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

True. nearcticus is polygynous and temperate. I'm sure there is a long and tiring list of monogynous tropical species as well.

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

On the care sheet it says they are "polygmous." I am assuming this is a typo?

I would also like to add, as with all ants, the temperature requirements will vary form region to region. Obviously specimens from Southern Vietnam will not need to spend winter at a cool temperature.

I have heard from many keepers that depending on where you get them from, they may not be polygynous at all. It seems that at the very least there is a fair degree of variation within the species. Possible that this is really a species-group that needs taxonomic work.

True. nearcticus is polygynous and temperate. I'm sure there is a long and tiring list of monogynous tropical species as well.

Camponotus nearcticus is not scientifically known to be polygynous, at least when I last checked. I couldn't find any papers published that contradict that, but if they exist, I'd happily change my views :)

Also, while I'm at it, many tropical species of Camponotus spp. are slow growing, monogynous, and keep tiny colonies. Camponotus tortuganus and Camponotus conspicuus inaequalis of Southern Florida, for example, have a max colony size of well under 500 workers as well as being strictly monogynous.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 5 2020 - 3:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Also, while I'm at it, many tropical species of Camponotus spp. are slow growing, monogynous, and keep tiny colonies. Camponotus tortuganus and Camponotus conspicuus inaequalis of Southern Florida, for example, have a max colony size of well under 500 workers as well as being strictly monogynous.

What I don't understand is how this could be beneficial for them.

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 5 2020 - 5:34 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have found that polygyny does not only depend on genetic lineage and location but also on the past experiences of certain queens. Queens introduced to each other early on get used to it and think this is normal, solitary queens sometimes simply refuse to be put together after a period of solitude because polygyny is abnormal to them. 

#10 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 8 2020 - 10:45 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

In a colony with multiple queens, each individual queen has to share her resources with other competing queens. Therefore, a queen in a monogyne colony is more reproductively successful than a queen of a polygyne colony, even though the colony's collective output is less.

Typically, you only see polygyny in ants when the queens have a certain level of genetic relatedness, and when there is another external pressure to encourage it.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 9 2020 - 3:36 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

In a colony with multiple queens, each individual queen has to share her resources with other competing queens. Therefore, a queen in a monogyne colony is more reproductively successful than a queen of a polygyne colony, even though the colony's collective output is less.

Typically, you only see polygyny in ants when the queens have a certain level of genetic relatedness, and when there is another external pressure to encourage it.

Some species actually require polygyny, as is the case with Crematogaster minutissima. Without more than one queen, the single queen will die before producing any workers. It is unknown why they require polygyny to survive, but I suspect it's because they're egg-laying rate is so slow, due to their eggs being enormous, about 1/3 the size of their entire gaster. I'm beginning to doubt this however, as the related species, Crematogaster missouriensis, lays similarly sized eggs, and yet, they are strictly monogynous. Maybe they can produce faster than minutissima though.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 12:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

True, although having multiple queens helps reduce the chance of an attack killing all the queens. Also, queens can take breaks more frequently when there’s another queen or so to take over when she’s resting.

#13 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 3 2020 - 11:10 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Care sheets are back! I've always been jealous of European antkeepers who can get this species. Easy, fast-growing, huge, non-hibernating, and interesting coloration as well.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted May 19 2022 - 8:50 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Polygmous, though it is best to introduce a queen to another when none have brood or a lone queen to a large colony.

This is false to the best of my knowledge. Specifically I am speaking of introducing a new queen to an already existing colony. There are some rare cases of success in this when certain species are introduced "slowly" but in general, if you just threw a queen in the colony it would be dismembered within a few short minutes.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#15 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 20 2022 - 5:12 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Polygmous, though it is best to introduce a queen to another when none have brood or a lone queen to a large colony.

This is false to the best of my knowledge. Specifically I am speaking of introducing a new queen to an already existing colony. There are some rare cases of success in this when certain species are introduced "slowly" but in general, if you just threw a queen in the colony it would be dismembered within a few short minutes.

Leo is right.

• aznphenom and futurebird like this

#16 Offline T.C. - Posted July 10 2022 - 1:36 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Shortly after my OP, I asked a friend who has quite a few colonies and queens of this species to test the results of adding queens to his colonies. He added a queen to one colony but he could not find it afterwards. I'm assuming it was dismembered somewhere in their trash piles or eaten. I am not sure. He also attempted adding two queens together that where founding. This you would think would go smoother than being introduced to a whole colony, but that was also a negative.

e17hWqE.jpeg

• futurebird and FloridaAnts like this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#17 Offline futurebird - Posted July 10 2022 - 3:45 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Queen introductions go badly! I agree. Two queens lived together for a month then suddenly for no reason one was killed by the workers. 

I'm very curious about this "introducing a queen to a large colony" How is this anything other than "lunch" ?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 17 2022 - 8:56 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Queen introductions go badly! I agree. Two queens lived together for a month then suddenly for no reason one was killed by the workers. 

I'm very curious about this "introducing a queen to a large colony" How is this anything other than "lunch" ?

This is not entirely true. All known records show Camponotus pennsylvanicus being purely monogynous but my colony has 2 queens and 17 workers with 25 new larvae for their second generation and there's been no aggression whatsoever.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus nicobarensis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users