• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Euron's Journals - M.Arenarius/C.Lateralis/O.Transversa

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Euron - Posted March 1 2020 - 8:53 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hey, I want to share my ants with other people in the hobby and have decided to start a journal on this site which I will endeavor to update fortnightly.

I'v seen others using this format of keeping journals in one place and I really like reading those so have decided to do the same.

I have kept quite a few species of ants and its been my interest to buy queens which I've raised to small colonies of 50+ workers which I've sold on. However, this will be for those I plan to keep long term.

To start off the journal I will be posting updates to Messor Arenarius, Camponotus Lateralis & Odontoponera Transversa colonies.

• Boog likes this

#2 Offline Euron - Posted March 1 2020 - 9:16 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Introductions

Messor Arenarius

Received at the start of Feb 2020, this queen and 3 eggs were moved to a glass 20mm*200mm test tube kept at 25C. With no larvae after 2 weeks I decided 25C was not enough and adjusted to 28C, since then there are now a couple larvae and more eggs. I have only taken her out for a couple seconds during this time so have kept photos to a minimum so far - I want to make sure she is not stressed during this founding stage at all.   

L4y1KSZ.jpg

Camponotus Lateralis

I have wanted to have this species for a long time now but had not found a seller. While I have not yet received my small colony of a queen and 10+ workers, I do expect them next week for which I will post an update.

Odontoponera Transversa

I actually received this queen at the end of May 2019, however not until January did the first nanitic hatch. The queen and worker currently have an egg pile and 2 large larvae.

Edited by Euron, March 1 2020 - 9:17 AM.

• Nare, Boog, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 9:27 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Looks interesting! Keep up the good work!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 1 2020 - 1:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice, you're either in Europe or Asia. Both amazing spots for ants.

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 1:57 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah, that's why AC moved there. Guess he got bored of the natives in Canada...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 1 2020 - 2:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And yet he doesn't keep many of the Philippines' exciting natives. I'd say he went there for the natives that are invasives in other countries.

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 1 2020 - 4:50 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol, true

#8 Offline MsTesaAnt - Posted March 2 2020 - 5:26 AM

MsTesaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow, that is a beautiful photo of the queen.  I'm looking forward to see more photos and getting updates.

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 2 2020 - 2:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yeah, that's why AC moved there. Guess he got bored of the natives in Canada...

I would've guessed Europe, and if Asia probably not anywhere near the Philipines. But you are correct otherwise. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline Euron - Posted March 4 2020 - 12:09 PM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Odontoponera Transversa

Here are some promised photos. They have 4 small larvae and 4 larger. The test tube started out full of cocofiber, which they have largely excavated. I'm going to order some superworms as a change to their current diet of crickets, jelly and honey.

EcAbF47.jpgKsLkfb8.jpgoIn6w1B.jpg20Mg4kQ.jpg

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#11 Offline Euron - Posted March 4 2020 - 12:12 PM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Camponotus Lateralis

Sad news on this front. The colony died in shipping, upsetting as they really looked like really pretty ants. I'v talked with my supplier about a replacement but the ETA is about 4 weeks. Will update.  

#12 Offline Euron - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:41 PM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Messor Arenarius

I'm rather impressed. In the last 5 days this queen has been doing really well. Have a look at how well she has grown her brood. Sorry for the awful quality :')

Q3sTpbM.jpgaDQyRvK.jpg

Edited by Euron, March 6 2020 - 12:42 PM.

#13 Offline Euron - Posted March 29 2020 - 5:58 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Messor Arenarius - 16th March

Once this queens eggs hatched this queen has been working full time to get her colony started. I introduced some crushed seeds too.

Attached Images

• 6A6oFGd.jpg
  • LTUHEY9.jpg

Edited by Euron, March 29 2020 - 5:59 AM.

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:01 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, it looks amazing! 

#15 Offline Euron - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:03 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Messor Arenarius - 29th March

First worker and *almost* second. Super happy about how she is doing. It looks like she had melded the insides of several seeds into one part.

Attached Images

• 6uJRIi3.jpg
  • EmD8tD8.jpg
  • UXvQUI4.jpg

Edited by Euron, March 29 2020 - 6:05 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 6:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Those larvae look a little more grub-like than I’m used to.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#17 Offline Euron - Posted March 29 2020 - 8:09 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Definitely! My other messor larvae are always nice pill shapes, these are a little creepy with the twisting segmented cone appearance. Can't wait to see a major larvae.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#18 Offline Euron - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:35 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Camponotus Lateralis - 31/03/20

These arrived. Very healthy. Lots of eggs. They are very active ants, reminding me of crematogaster scutellaris. Will be keeping the larger colony for this journal.

Jkalg8A.jpgobqEzMd.jpg

• AntsDakota likes this

#19 Offline Euron - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:41 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Messor Arenarius - 04/04/20

Colony is healthy, most pupae from last week have become workers. Hopefully she lays more eggs soon.

JjBb0Ne.jpg

Edited by Euron, May 4 2020 - 10:41 AM.

#20 Offline Euron - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:46 AM

Euron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Odontoponera Transversa - 11/04/20

These haven't really progressed much. There is a larger larvae at least. Have moved their diet to fruit flies.

54LWxv0.jpgr61ve00.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users