• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is the best piece of advice for new antkeepers that you have learned?

ants new antkeepers

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 20 2020 - 10:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Mine is never leave your colonies outside for hibernation in states around or above SD, unless they are in a big dirt set up!!!!  

Edited by Ants_Dakota, February 20 2020 - 10:34 AM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#2 Offline kgollehon - Posted February 20 2020 - 10:59 AM

kgollehon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWestwood

Make sure to always provide proper humidity based on species needs and don't worry too much if your colony refuses to move sometimes. 

Colonies: Tetramorium sp., Solenopsis xyloni

Put an end to hate, go green, vote left! Peace

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted February 20 2020 - 12:35 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Take it slow!!!!! It's very easy to get the " I gotta have ALL the Ants" Fever! Pick a species or two and keep a colony or two and really get to know Antkeeping or before you know it you're overwhelmed!

• FSTP, AntsBC, ANTdrew and 4 others like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted February 20 2020 - 12:54 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Take it slow!!!!! It's very easy to get the " I gotta have ALL the Ants" Fever! Pick a species or two and keep a colony or two and really get to know Antkeeping or before you know it you're overwhelmed!

great advice. 

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2020 - 1:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Acutus speaks the truth. I also urge new keepers to only gather queens from nuptial flights. Don’t remove established colonies from the wild; it is unethical.
  • justanotheramy likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 20 2020 - 1:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I urge new ant keepers to not house a colony in a setup that is too small... found that out the hard way

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 20 2020 - 3:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Acutus speaks the truth. I also urge new keepers to only gather queens from nuptial flights. Don’t remove established colonies from the wild; it is unethical.

It may be unethical to some people, but ethics are things that you establish your own of. No one can force their code of ehtics upon you.

I don't have a problem with collecting colonies from the wild, but if you do, make sure you collect in moderation. You want to avoid larger colonies unless you intend (and have the equipment) to collect all of the workers.

• Ants4fun, Manitobant and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:20 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Patience.

• YsTheAnt, Nare and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#9 Offline AntsBC - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:52 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

It may be unethical to some people, but ethics are things that you establish your own of. No one can force their code of ehtics upon you.

I don't have a problem with collecting colonies from the wild, but if you do, make sure you collect in moderation. You want to avoid larger colonies unless you intend (and have the equipment) to collect all of the workers.

Ethics are not something that people establish on their own; they are the core of society and are often put in place by the government.  Without them, no rules or borders can be drawn up.  By stating that, "no one can force their code of ethics upon you", you are essentially stating that murder, stealing, etc shouldn't be crimes/regulated because they are ethical matters.  If the government tries to put you in jail for things they deem as "unethical", just tell them that, "you can't force your own code of ethics upon me."  See what I'm getting at, your argument does not hold much ground.  I'm not saying that all ethical laws the government puts up are just, (you should indeed create your own ethical compass), but ethics should be in place because they help societies function.  

Unfortunately, ant keeping is small and doesn't really have a regulated moral code/rules, so you can do however you please.  Just because this is the case doesn't mean that you should do things that are harmful to the environment, even if collecting wild colonies doesn't leave much of a difference.  Often times in life, the harder path is the more beneficial, and ant keeping is no exception.  Raising a queen from scratch will teach you more about ant keeping and will actually bring you more fulfillment then digging up a colony. 

Anyways, the main point of my post here was to show that dismissing ANTdrew's argument just because he brought ethics into the picture isn't very fair.  As I said before, ethics are what keeps things functioning, and without them, our world would be a mess.

That being said, one piece of advice I would give to new ant keepers is to always carry some sort of collecting equipment during the warmer months; you never know when you will find a queen.

Edited by AntsBC, February 20 2020 - 4:55 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Always carry test tubes. You should never have to carry ants in ziplock bags... As well as patience, as Zeiss said.

• Acutus and Ants_Dakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2020 - 5:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I know we disagree on this issue, and I respect that. Obviously everyone needs to follow their own conscience in this matter. As for me, I’m going to continue denouncing this practice, so that the young readers on here can decide which side of history they want to be on.
  • TennesseeAnts, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 20 2020 - 5:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ethics are not something that people establish on their own; they are the core of society and are often put in place by the government.  Without them, no rules or borders can be drawn up.  By stating that, "no one can force their code of ethics upon you", you are essentially stating that murder, stealing, etc shouldn't be crimes/regulated because they are ethical matters.  If the government tries to put you in jail for things they deem as "unethical", just tell them that, "you can't force your own code of ethics upon me."  See what I'm getting at, your argument does not hold much ground.  I'm not saying that all ethical laws the government puts up are just, (you should indeed create your own ethical compass), but ethics should be in place because they help societies function.  

Unfortunately, ant keeping is small and doesn't really have a regulated moral code/rules, so you can do however you please.  Just because this is the case doesn't mean that you should do things that are harmful to the environment, even if collecting wild colonies doesn't leave much of a difference.  Often times in life, the harder path is the more beneficial, and ant keeping is no exception.  Raising a queen from scratch will teach you more about ant keeping and will actually bring you more fulfillment then digging up a colony. 

Anyways, the main point of my post here was to show that dismissing ANTdrew's argument just because he brought ethics into the picture isn't very fair.  As I said before, ethics are what keeps things functioning, and without them, our world would be a mess.

That being said, one piece of advice I would give to new ant keepers is to always carry some sort of collecting equipment during the warmer months; you never know when you will find a queen.

Laws are put in place by governments. A person's code of ethics is what helps them decide which laws the person will follow. I did not dismiss his argument, just presented my own.

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 20 2020 - 5:31 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

why are we getting in an argument over weather or not to collect an established colony? Someone may choose to collect an established colony while someone else may not. It's no use getting in an argument of ethics which are created by an individual's own experiences. If you try to make someone do as you do, you're living THEIR life, so let them do as they please, just end the silly argument because it has nothing to do with caring for ants because you're collecting them at that point

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 20 2020 - 6:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, this should have its own thread. And to the point of the thread-

"Don't concentrate for exotic species. Learn to love native ones; they're just as interesting, if you take the time to notice."

• Nare, ANTdrew, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 20 2020 - 7:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Research and common sense. Don't blunder in asking for help on little things like what to feed your generalist ants or whether or not to but the overpriced extra large formicarium for a 5 worker Nylanderia colony.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#16 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2020 - 7:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, this should have its own thread. And to the point of the thread-

"Don't concentrate for exotic species. Learn to love native ones; they're just as interesting, if you take the time to notice."

Great quote. That could kick off a whole new debate.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 21 2020 - 4:34 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yes, but not in this forum :) (that's the main goal right?)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#18 Offline zantezaint - Posted February 22 2020 - 12:41 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Kill them all.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#19 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 22 2020 - 2:05 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

BE. PATIENT. you cannot rush it and it will only kill them faster

• AntsDakota likes this

#20 Offline FSTP - Posted February 22 2020 - 2:37 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W
with new founding ants leave them alone, in fact forget you even have them.
  • ANTdrew, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, new antkeepers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users