• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasiculture- The thread of Lasius keeping and study!

lasius

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 23 2020 - 3:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Feel free to share any experiences, observations, theories, etc. relating to Lasius! The purpose of this thread is to give some credit to these otherwise under appreciated ants.
  • ANTdrew, DDD101DDD, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 23 2020 - 5:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

They are darned near impossible to identify.  You have to examine hairs under a microscope. Okay, back to praising the genus, in the Eastern Sierras, they are pretty much the most prevalent ant, and make huge trails, even into trees to presumably tend aphids. They also seemed to be strictly diurnal, not at all active on the cooler nights. Mine also laid eggs extremly quickly right out of hibernation, but they are taking ages to develop.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 23 2020 - 5:36 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Was this made as some version of CampoCulture? I never thought I would have a positive impact like this on the forums making little ant species cultures! Thank you Adak, and I hope your LasiCulture helps enlighten those in need of enlightenment and has wonderful times as it fulfills it's purposes, best wishes to this thread (y).  

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 24 2020 - 1:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would have liked to join in on this thread, but it seems like my Lasius neoniger queen is a dud.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 24 2020 - 1:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I never see lasius.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 2:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They are darned near impossible to identify.  You have to examine hairs under a microscope. Okay, back to praising the genus, in the Eastern Sierras, they are pretty much the most prevalent ant, and make huge trails, even into trees to presumably tend aphids. They also seemed to be strictly diurnal, not at all active on the cooler nights. Mine also laid eggs extremly quickly right out of hibernation, but they are taking ages to develop.

Well, that’ll be one of the main topics in this thread!

Was this made as some version of CampoCulture? I never thought I would have a positive impact like this on the forums making little ant species cultures! Thank you Adak, and I hope your LasiCulture helps enlighten those in need of enlightenment and has wonderful times as it fulfills it's purposes, best wishes to this thread (y).

thanks for the support!

I would have liked to join in on this thread, but it seems like my Lasius neoniger queen is a dud.

If you ever catch and raise parasites, they’re just as welcome here.

I never see lasius.

Unfortunately.....

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 24 2020 - 3:27 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Some random things I've learned or heard.

My Parasitic Lasius exploration has mostly ended in failure to found, however since fall 2019 I learned more about getting them to found. I have a Lasius aphidicola queen with ~40-50 host workers right now and it looks like she could be successful. The biggest factor in introducing workers to a queen, in my case, has been that both parties need to be calm. If one side is aggressive, there is an issue. I can calm them down in a variety of ways, such as:

• Putting them in the fridge for a few minutes (although this doesn't always have an effect).
  • Separating a worker from the rest of the colony for hours/days.
  • Introducing both parties in a foreign space (sometimes it's okay to introduce the worker to the queens tube).

I have managed to get many queens to accept a few workers, however by the time I do, it is often too late in the season to get more hosts or I cannot find the same colony again. I suggest gathering a large amount of workers if you plan on introducing them to a queen (but not all of them at once, start with 1-3). Also, it is notable that some parasitic Lasius can be founded using parasitic workers (ideally of the same species), and some say this is much easier. I speculate that if you catch a queen and gather workers from the colony she recently left, they would get along. I haven't tried this but I plan to. I have done this with Tetramorium immigrans

I noticed that when I didn't bother to identify the host workers, they only worked for a select few parasitic queens and I remembered that they don't all parasitize the same species. I will make sure to put in maximum effort next fall to get a variety of parasitic queens to found.

I also notice that the taxonomy with Lasius neoniger and related queens is a little foggy, and as someone mentioned previously on this thread, you often need a microscope to identify your specimens.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Good advice. I may just use it if I catch a queen this fall, when they fly.

#9 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:38 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

maybe she ate too many nerds and has a stomach-ache lol

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Or maybe she doesn't like the low calorie diet she's on.  :lol:

• ANTdrew and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol, she needed a sugar break :rofl:

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hmmm.... I wonder if she has any room for some meats as an entree? 

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 24 2020 - 4:50 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

maybe she wants some fillet lol... 

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 7:34 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

You guys are so funny! :lol:

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 7:35 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Happens to me all the time. I have actually never got a colony to survive, or even get workers because they develop so slow.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 24 2020 - 7:41 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I never see lasius.

Lasius is so common up here that it is usually used mainly in experiments!!! :lol:

#17 Offline Captain_Morgan - Posted February 25 2020 - 4:06 AM

Captain_Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My lasius niger done something quite fascinating the other night. I installed a heat mat under their nest and went out fishing for the night. I got home about 11 in the morning the next day to a bit of a disaster. The heat from the mat had caused a pool of water to appear in their water tube and what they done to combat theor nest getting flooded out amazed me. They built a dam! Like we mear humans would do to protect our 'nests.' I quickly changed over the tube and they pulled down the dam! They also used to coco husk I provided them to mop the condensation droplets from the clear acrylic roof they have! Watched them for hrs whilst they where at their work.
  • ANTdrew, AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
This can be both a lesson on heat mat regulation AND ant ingenuity!
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 10 2020 - 8:34 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It seems that the Lasius from the sierras may well be polygynous. For people that have put non-polygynous Lasius together, about how many workers were there when the executions begun? My three queen colony has 17 or 18 workers, and so far, no aggression towards the queens.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 10 2020 - 8:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
The queens of a two queened colony I had once slaughtered each other as soon as workers arrived, leaving the new colony orphaned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users