• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Prenolepis imparis have multiple nuptial flights?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Its going to be warm again tomorrow, and I was wondering if it would even be worth it to search again.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:18 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I would also wonder that.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:20 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I've been seeing males around for about 3 days.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 6:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I've been seeing males around for about 3 days.

I believe a full on nuptial flight also includes female gynes as well.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 6 2020 - 6:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I would go for it. As long as you don't go near anybody of course.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted April 6 2020 - 6:58 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

On a sort of related topic, what temperature do female Prenolepis Imparis fly at? I have found all sorts of mixed answers ranging from mid 60s to mid 70s and I want a reliable range of temperature to know when to go out looking. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 68° and I'm really hoping for some to fly.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 5:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
68 or above, no higher than 75.

#8 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 7 2020 - 7:15 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

It was in the 60's (fahrenheit) when I caught mine 3 days ago.

#9 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 7 2020 - 8:40 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
The 70 degree mark seems to be the average. There are exceptions on both sides, but generally the first warm day of spring.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#10 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 7 2020 - 11:52 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
What state do you guys live in? I really want to catch one of these queens this year. Last year I looked everyday and had no luck. I don't want to miss out again this year. I live in Michigan. It still hasn't hit 60 yet. I know I will have a little time before they fly here.

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What state do you guys live in? I really want to catch one of these queens this year. Last year I looked everyday and had no luck. I don't want to miss out again this year. I live in Michigan. It still hasn't hit 60 yet. I know I will have a little time before they fly here.

Really? This is the third day it’s gotten over 70 here in South Dakota.

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:34 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

On a sort of related topic, what temperature do female Prenolepis Imparis fly at? I have found all sorts of mixed answers ranging from mid 60s to mid 70s and I want a reliable range of temperature to know when to go out looking. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 68° and I'm really hoping for some to fly.

you're not going to find any queens tomorrow. mid to upper 70's is what you're going for.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I live in Illinois and it's just hit 70 for the first time today. You'll want to look when it hits the mid to upper 70's. There may be variation from antkeeper to antkeeper, but mid to upper 70's is the sweet spot.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Well, I found one queen! Not as many as I had hoped, but still!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#15 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:57 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

I went for it and ended up catching 12 queens by 4:30! Can't wait to have a multi-queen colony!

• NickAnter, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 2:13 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I went for it and ended up catching 12 queens by 4:30! Can't wait to have a multi-queen colony!
Remember a few months ago when you despaired of catching any queens at all?
  • Pumpkin_Loves_Ants likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#18 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 4:06 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

It's 2020, times have changed lol

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 4:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
In more ways than one.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 8 2020 - 5:00 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

very true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users