• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Formica fusca group Journal (Workers!)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2019 - 5:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I only caught one of these queens next to a parasitic Formica trail, trying to dig under a rock. She is a little skinny, so when we get home, I will give her some honey. I never witnessed a nuptial flight, so IDK if this is a straggler, or an early bird. Hopefully the latter. As wih all the queens I catch here, I hope she survives hibernation.

Edited by NickAnter, September 17 2021 - 3:37 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 14 2019 - 9:33 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I caught another one this morning. It appears as though they fly very early in the morning, as I only found one, and she was a dealate.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I caught another one this morning. It appears as though they fly very early in the morning, as I only found one, and she was a dealate.

I've only ever seen formica flying in the morning.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 19 2019 - 7:43 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Oh, okay. I know very little about Formica nuptial flights. The first queen I had found, I ignorantly presumed that she flew with the Lasius. Well, good to know for next year.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 20 2019 - 10:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
One queen died. Other one is looking fine.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 8:26 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Both dead. Discontinued.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2020 - 5:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Hopefully I will find more of these soon. I will be heading to the sierras on the 9th of August, so, with any luck, I will be able to find more queens of this species!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2020 - 6:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’re fun ants. I hope you find some.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2020 - 6:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thanks! :)

I got to see some huge nests in the wild, so I know they get huge colonies too, and they are super active too, from what I observed. I would also like the formica there which nest on the prarie like cow pastures. Like giant lasius mounds, the kind you see pictures of from the UK.

• ANTdrew likes this

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 17 2020 - 4:55 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I got to see some huge nests in the wild, so I know they get huge colonies too

How huge?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2020 - 6:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My colony seems to have plateaued at around 40 workers. I really hope the queen will lay another batch of eggs, but maybe she’s done for the season? They keep taking protein, so I don’t know what’s going on with them, honestly.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:03 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My colony seems to have plateaued at around 40 workers. I really hope the queen will lay another batch of eggs, but maybe she’s done for the season? They keep taking protein, so I don’t know what’s going on with them, honestly.

Formica are weird too, in my experience.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:05 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I got to see some huge nests in the wild, so I know they get huge colonies too

How huge?

The biggest one that I saw had like 15 nest entrances, all at least 10 inches apart. Thousands of workers.

• AntsDakota likes this

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 9 2021 - 5:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Attempt #2!
I found a queen of what I think is the same species, but only gauranteed to be in the fusca group. She was rather thin, so I fed her some of my sugar-honey-water mixture that every ant seems to love. She happily drank it. Hopefully she will not succumb to the dreaded yellow mold as the other queens did. They must have flown quite recently, I saw a sadly dead queen under a rock, but it was not thin, so can't have been under that rock for a while. Hopefully I can find some more soon!

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 9 2021 - 5:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

There is a photo of her, didn't want to use a very bright light since she is rather skittish.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2021 - 10:40 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well I have great news for this journal!

A: The first queen has 2 eggs!

B: I caught a queen of a bicolored species! Sadly I squished the pupae she had under the rock, but I have fed her some sugar water, so she is nice and plump again.

C: I have caught 3 more queens of the original sp.! One has a pretty severely damaged gaster, so it may not survive. The other two I found under separate rocks this morning. I put them together in a tube, and they were a tad agressive, so I put them in the fridge for a bit, and now they are cooperating well!

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2021 - 2:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome! I found a queen on the 9th as well. Are you finding these in the Sierras?

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2021 - 8:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Nice ANTdrew! Yes, I have found all these in the same place in the Sierras.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 21 2021 - 11:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

We have eggs!!

*Last week, the first queen laid eggs, and a couple days ago she got a tiny larva, and then proceeded to eat everything.

The pair of queens has 4 eggs, and I suspect they will lay more. One looks like it is starting to hatch already. They go from egg to larva extremely quickly it would seem.

The bicolored queen, which I am now thinking is aerata, has 3 eggs. I am hoping that she manages to succeed, I have wanted francoeuri for some time, and this species is somewhat similar, if more bicolored. Anyway, that is about all for now!

Edited by NickAnter, August 21 2021 - 11:27 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 4 2021 - 11:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

We have 2 pupae with the duo group! We also have large larvae with the cf. aerata. The damaged gaster queen died, and the single, OG queen has no brood and appears to be doing poorly. Pictures are pretty much impossible, since they get pretty freaked out with any bright lights. The aerata is by far worse than the cf. argentea.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users