• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Formica fusca group Journal (Workers!)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 17 2021 - 3:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

:yahoo:  :yahoo:

We have two workers!

There are 3 more pupae to eclose as well. These workers are probably the cutest nanitics that I have ever seen, they just have a particularly cuteness about them.

The cf. aerata queen should hopefully get workers in a couple days, I can see the eyes of the workers through the pupae.

• Moonant01, antgallery and NancyZamora4991 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2021 - 12:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome!!!

Edited by ANTdrew, September 18 2021 - 12:32 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 26 2022 - 11:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The fusca-group Formica duo ended up murdering one of their queens very shortly after that last post.

They did, however, end up with about 12 workers before going into hibernation.

The aerata ended up with 6 workers before hibernation. 1 died in hibernation, and one shortly after being taken out.

Both now have some pupae, although naturally the cf. argentea have 6 times as much brood as the cf. aerata. The cf. aerata are in a mini hearth, which I am now regretting, since the cf. argentea are going to outgrow their tube soon. I may have to do a switcheroo to right that issue there.

Here are five pictures: (the argentea have 12 pupae, set to double their population quickly, but they took a bunch of pupae as soon as I shined a light on them)

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 3 2022 - 8:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are doing fantastic!

The bicolored colony has over 15 workers now, and a small amount of brood. The queen remains extremely physogastric at all times for some reason.

The monocolor colony has over 40 workers, and is doing absolutely fantastic. This colony is an absolute joy to keep, and is super active, and yet not too sensitive to light or vibration now. They are always out and about foraging, and are of a size that magnification is not necessary for observation, and they aren't slow on the growing front at all. Here is a video of the colony:

Edited by NickAnter, April 3 2022 - 8:44 PM.

• ANTdrew and United-Ants like this

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 13 2022 - 6:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here is a video of the bicolored colony. They have pupae that seem to be workers that will be quite a lot bigger than the ones they have. They also have a nice pile of eggs now. They have 19 workers, down from their peak of 21, since two old workers died.

The monocolor colony has over 50 workers now, which is cool. If they keep going at the current rate, I expect them to hit about 150-200 workers by the end of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users