• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How would you suggest I set up my tank?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted April 9 2015 - 8:09 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Here's what I've got(fairly large picture)

Spoiler

On the bottom right is the original formicarium I ordered...I never knew it was going to be so small though so decided to make my own with a fish tank.

I have ants ready to go in but the tank isn't ready, had problems with humidity but figured out the problem is ventilation.

I've ordered some insect mesh and a glass cutter, I hope to cut some vents in the glass without ruining the whole tank.

If all goes well there do you think a net of mesh over the top would suffice?

The tank has a lid but the gaps at the hinges seem large enough for the ants to escape out of so I'm doing away with the lid for now.

Originally I was going to use the small box there as a nesting area, was going to pack it with sand of course and put some holes in.

However I figured I'd just use the original formicarium inside, it has a vertical nesting area already anyway.

I plan to use the glass cutter on that too, to widen the entrance and make another hole for easier access.

Do you think this should be suitable?

I'm not sure fluon would work well with this tank there's not much of an upside down surface for them to walk on so getting enough on would be difficult.

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the text wall :D .

Also the sand etc was just me testing it out that's not how I plan to have it, my aim is for sand, soil and gravel areas so they can choose what they like to forage in.

Edited by Steveboy777, April 9 2015 - 3:37 PM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#2 Offline AntLover101 - Posted April 9 2015 - 8:17 AM

AntLover101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania,USA
I can't see the picture?

Edited by AntLover101, April 9 2015 - 8:18 AM.

I wanna get my hands on some Campontus Pennsylvanicus or Ponera Pennsylvanica Queens!:D

#3 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted April 9 2015 - 8:39 AM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
For what ant sp?

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted April 9 2015 - 8:46 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I can see when I click on the show button.

1. are you planning on putting the nest inside the aquarium, or attaching it with tubing or something?

2. How big of a colony?  A nest for 20 ants will be different than a nest meant for 300 ants.

There are countless ways to put the nest in the foraging area.  Here are a few pictures I copied from the picture thread.

• Ants4fun likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted April 9 2015 - 11:17 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

For what ant sp?

Lasius Niger, standard starting species haha.

I can see when I click on the show button.

1. are you planning on putting the nest inside the aquarium, or attaching it with tubing or something?

2. How big of a colony?  A nest for 20 ants will be different than a nest meant for 300 ants.

Yeah I don't feel confident enough that I could cut a secure enough hole through the glass to connect them so I'd rather not attempt it, fail and have to wait weeks for a legitemate formicarium to be shipped here.

These ants aren't so big so it should be a fine size, I could maybe upgrade one day don't really have the space for a big tank now.

The colony is around 10-20 ants right now they're just starting out.

I think I might get some fluon just to be sure hopefully there's some with UK sellers. Any brand recommendations?

The mesh might be enough I've not received it yet though.

I've also ordered prorep sand to put in the nesting area. I have gecko's and a bearded dragon, heard a lot of people saying it's terrible for reptiles because it clumps together...which sounds ideal for ants.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted April 9 2015 - 11:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Most people use preformed nests instead of letting their ants dig.  But I do know some who let their ants dig.

Fluon can be used on the sides of the tank.  It is often insect-a-slip as well.

If you choose to go with a preformed nest, 4-8 chambers will be sufficent for 10-20 ants for at least a year or two.

With species that need hibernation like Lasius do, I recommend a nest that is easy to remove and put into the fridge.  If you have a wine cooler or fridge that that tank will fit into, great.

For nests in tanks, I prefer to use a pane of glass over the tunnels, and make it removeable when I plug the entrance holes.

Like this one from zielona.mrufka

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted April 9 2015 - 11:51 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I want to try have as natural an environment for them as possible, watching them carve out their own home sounds like half the fun to me I'll just aid them a little :D

I find their behaviour fascinating.

These ants seem lively anyway the Queen walked right to the end of the test tube to eat when I put some protein jelly in.

I had some Lasius Niger before but I made the mistake of getting them before having the necessary tools to care for them, I let them go nearby and they're surviving on it seems.

Anyway I hear fluon and insect-a-slip aren't that great against Lasius Niger, I'll give it a try but I hope this insect mesh will suffice, anyone ever used it before? Mesh in general I mean.

Has anyone ever cut glass to make vents? If so is it difficult or something any idiot can do? Not too much of a handy man.

All else fails they can just go in the small formicarium I have until I get a better option than this tank. Hopefully it works out it's about the size I want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users