• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Natural wood formicarium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 8 2015 - 8:14 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Is there a decontamination that needs to take place before installing it? Oven or freezer?

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted April 8 2015 - 8:39 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

What exactly are you trying to do?  Can we get a few more details?

Just carve a nest from wood and silicone on some glass?

Choose a wood that was not treated or exposed to any chemicals.  Ensure siicone has sufficient drying time.

Keep in mind wood can be suseptible to rot due to the water.  It can also warp when wet.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 8 2015 - 8:42 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I was going to chainsaw off a slice from the tree trunk I collected the queens from. And either glue a piece of glass to the face or better yet glue it to the face of a container that has a lid 😳. Don't want them gnawing through the wood and getting out in my house.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 8 2015 - 9:06 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

They chew slowly.  If you want to be extra certain they can't get through, coat any exterior facing sides with epoxy, which can be found at many big-box or home-improvement stores.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users