• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Pogonomyrmex californicus journal (updated 04-08-15)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 8 2015 - 3:40 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So, as I went on a short anting trip...I went to an area where I always see Pogonomyrmex. Lots of them around. Since it just rained here last night in Southern California...figured it be a good time to get ants (and termites).

Besides the termites I got, I found a P. californicus colony under a rock in the shallow sand of the canal. The sand is only a few inches deep in most areas, so most colonies have very shallow nests and they are easy to get if they decide to nest under the rocks scattered around. The colony isn't too big, only about 30 ants and the queen in total and not much brood (most colonies in this section don't have much brood, there is very little food around, let alone nesting space). I assume like my other Pogonomyrmex colony however, they'll produce TONS of brood once they start eating and settle in. I think right now they have a tiny clutch of eggs and one larvae...so, not much at all.

I hope the colony does good. :) I don't tend to do good with P. californicus to be honest, they die kind of easily on me. Then again, now that I have better housing conditions...maybe my new Pogonomyrmex colony will do good. The garage is always rather warm, and the heat lamp is on them...which, heat seems really important for this genus. My last attempt (last year) I kept them outside, and it was probably too cold for them.

And as for ant formicarium used...I just used an old mayonnaise jar (its plastic) and filled it with sand. Usually works well enough, and its what I had available. :P

Edited by Vendayn, April 8 2015 - 3:45 PM.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 8 2015 - 3:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I took a closer look at my other Pogonomyrmex colony that I thought was P. subnitidus, but drew pointed out they have a spine. My other ones do not. So, I actually have two Pogonomyrmex californicus colonies now.

Could you merge this with that thread? Then I'll just rename it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users