• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Exodus's Ant Journals! Updated (4/16/2021) 15 QUEEN PRENOLEPIS COLONY!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#161 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:47 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Yeah I looked through the differences and it is definitely Hypoponera opacior. I checked them out on Inaturalist and there was only 2 records of them last year!

Edited by AntsExodus, May 8 2020 - 6:47 AM.

#162 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hmm........ I wonder if mine were Hypoponera.........

• AntsExodus likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#163 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:52 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

My Aphenogaster rudis colony has alate pupae! I am so excited cause they only have 100 workers and around 2 years old! This is my first time seeing alates in a captive colony with my own eyes so I am so excited!

My Hypoponera opacior colony definitely has 9 queens cause they laid a huge batch of around 100-200 eggs!

• AntsDakota likes this

#164 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:57 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

My Hypoponera opacior colony definitely has 9 queens cause they laid a huge batch of around 100-200 eggs!

Wait- how many workers does the colony have?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#165 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah I looked through the differences and it is definitely Hypoponera opacior. I checked them out on Inaturalist and there was only 2 records of them last year!

And also, what differences could you see?

#166 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:05 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

They have around 50 workers

• AntsDakota likes this

#167 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:07 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

The Hypoponera opacior is more bulkier than Ponera pennsylvanica and Ponera has red on their tip but Hypoponera opacior do not.

• AntsDakota likes this

#168 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They have around 50 workers

Wow. Any idea how large these colonies get?

#169 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

The Hypoponera opacior is more bulkier than Ponera pennsylvanica and Ponera has red on their tip but Hypoponera opacior do not.

I'm seeing a very small and barely noticeable amount of red on mine, yet some photos of Hypoponera have an equivalent amount of red as mine. I'll have to get a closer look at a worker.

Edit: Never mind, they're Ponera.

Edited by AntsDakota, May 8 2020 - 8:21 AM.

• AntsExodus likes this

#170 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

The Hypoponera opacior is more bulkier than Ponera pennsylvanica and Ponera has red on their tip but Hypoponera opacior do not.

I'm seeing a very small and barely noticeable amount of red on mine, yet some photos of Hypoponera have an equivalent amount of red as mine. I'll have to get a closer look at a worker.

Edit: Never mind, they're Ponera.
Hypoponera opacior are extremely variable, some being orange or red. The only way to distinguish Hypoponera from Ponera (physically) is one protrusion on the underside of the petiol, with a round pothole, like a puncture through the petiol that is only visible under high magnification. However, I find that Ponera pennsylvanica are usually monogyne.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 8 2020 - 12:24 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#171 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hypoponera opacior are extremely variable, some being orange or red. The only way to distinguish Hypoponera from Ponera (physically) are two punctures on the underside of the thorax, only visible under high magnification. However, I find that Ponera pennsylvanica are usually monogyne.

Many of my colonies have been polygynous.

#172 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Hypoponera opacior are extremely variable, some being orange or red. The only way to distinguish Hypoponera from Ponera (physically) are two punctures on the underside of the thorax, only visible under high magnification. However, I find that Ponera pennsylvanica are usually monogyne.

Those are most likely H. opacior then.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#173 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Those are most likely H. opacior then.

A couple years ago I found two small colonies a few dealates, and stuck them all in the same tube together. There was no aggression whatsoever.

#174 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:23 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Hmm. Interesting.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 8 2020 - 10:24 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#175 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Thanks.

Edited by AntsDakota, May 8 2020 - 10:32 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#176 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2020 - 10:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Thanks. Although something went wrong with the quote there..............

Yeah, I sorta fixed it... :lol:
  • AntsDakota likes this

#177 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2020 - 1:38 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

As was stated by Ant_Dude, the only real way to distinguish Hypoponera from Ponera is to examine the underside of the petiole (most easily done with very high magnification and with the metacoxae moved out of the way). "Petiole, in side view, with lobe-like subpetiolar process that has a circular, often translucent thin spot (window) toward the front, and two small, sharp teeth or angles projecting posteriorly. (Fisher & Cover, 2007) Here is a drawing from the aforementioned Fisher & Cover key showing a comparison between Ponera and Hypoponera.

600px-Fisher_%26_Cover_2007%2C_Key_Fig._

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#178 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 8 2020 - 6:18 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Lol I don't even have a microscope so I can't do this 

#179 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 11 2020 - 6:39 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

So the colony I found before that I thought was Proceratium but actually I took some time and identified them as Solenopsis carolinses! I caught three queens and a thousand workers and put them in a formicarium. Had to modify it cause the ants are escape artists and keep escaping. I also caught 8 more queens for the Hypoponera colony and around 20 more workers and added them all together! They are I guess highly very polygenous.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#180 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:34 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nice! Around here, Solenopsis molesta are everywhere. I can catch hundreds of queens at a time during their nuptial flights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users