• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants Exodus's Ant Journals! Updated (4/16/2021) 15 QUEEN PRENOLEPIS COLONY!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#181 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 12 2020 - 10:43 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Solenopsis carolinses suck! Even though they are cool I have to keep not letting escapes get out cause they are so small!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#182 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2020 - 11:07 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Solenopsis carolinses suck! Even though they are cool I have to keep not letting escapes get out cause they are so small!

Solenopsis invicta are worse, though. At least S. carolinensis don't have huge majors...

#183 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:58 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Well I think the having huge majors is actually one of the good things about Solenopsis invicta. The bad things in my opinion are the stings and how invasive they are.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#184 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 22 2020 - 6:31 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Nothing new is going on. I have seen some Brachymyrmex flights and Solenopsis invicta. For some reason my 4 queen Solenopsis carolinses colony killed a queen. You guys know why?

#185 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 4 2020 - 1:56 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I have so many colonies now! If you didn't know someone in formiculture had to move so they where giving their ant colonies away for free! I gladly took them in and I have so many new colonies now! I got a Camponotus americanus queen for the first time! I also got some new Temnothorax pardoi also for the first time, 3 Camponotus chromaidoes queens, a Solenopsis carolinses colony, a Aphenogaster rudis colony in a mini hearth (which is my very first tarheel ant formicarium I've ever gotten), and a Camponotus nearticus queen who is probably infertile. Thank you so much I will be taking good care of them so no need to worry! Also sadly for some reason my personal Solenopsis Carolinses colony killed 2 of their queens for no reason so there is only 2 queens in that colony now.

• Arroavantho likes this

#186 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 4 2020 - 2:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I have so many colonies now! If you didn't know someone in formiculture had to move so they where giving their ant colonies away for free! I gladly took them in and I have so many new colonies now! I got a Camponotus americanus queen for the first time! I also got some new Temnothorax pardoi also for the first time, 3 Camponotus chromaidoes queens, a Solenopsis carolinses colony, a Aphenogaster rudis colony in a mini hearth (which is my very first tarheel ant formicarium I've ever gotten), and a Camponotus nearticus queen who is probably infertile. Thank you so much I will be taking good care of them so no need to worry! Also sadly for some reason my personal Solenopsis Carolinses colony killed 2 of their queens for no reason so there is only 2 queens in that colony now.

You mean Temnothorax pergandei. I also have 2 colonies of both the red, and the black variant.

• AntsExodus likes this

#187 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 2:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well I think the having huge majors is actually one of the good things about Solenopsis invicta. The bad things in my opinion are the stings and how invasive they are.

I think what he meant was larger majors makes an invasive species even more destructive.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#188 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 4 2020 - 5:49 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

You mean Temnothorax pergandei. I also have 2 colonies of both the red, and the black variant.

Lol yeah sorry I remember them saying Temnothorax P and I looked that up and pardoi came up and I said that was the one lol. My colony is the black varient.

#189 Offline Arroavantho - Posted June 4 2020 - 6:40 PM

Arroavantho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Glad you are excited by them! As a side note make sure you check out THA’s video on how the mini-hearth works. The tube in the back is to give them water. You’ll also see a small hole in the back. Use a syringe to fill the water basin every once in a while; it keeps the nest humidified.
  • AntsExodus likes this

#190 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:53 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Thank you for the info I already know how a THA mini heath works but thank you!

#191 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:27 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Another Trachymyrmex colony has been added to our Trachymyrmex colonies! This colony is a young colony with a few workers and a queen!

• CatsnAnts and AntsDakota like this

#192 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 16 2020 - 8:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:*(

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#193 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:15 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

:*(

Maybe its just the nest lol 

• AntsDakota likes this

#194 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:45 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yeah, maybe a better way to put it is, ‘their small size sucks’.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsExodus and Froggy like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#195 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 28 2020 - 7:57 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Well this week was Formica week as I have caught 2 Formica subserica queens and a thatching Formica queen. Sadly Formica subserica are not polygenous cause I put the queens together and one died the next day. The thatching Formica queen I caught while hiking and I know she is a thatching ant cause I saw the nest she flow from which was a thatching ant colony with this huge mound next to a rock. Sadly she was infertile so I put her in isopropyl alcohol to study her. Also the place with the thatching ant colony had around 40 colonies of thatching ants so I am probably going to go again hopefully next year! They also had different castes of workers some big and some small.

Edited by AntsExodus, June 28 2020 - 7:58 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#196 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 28 2020 - 10:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Well this week was Formica week as I have caught 2 Formica subserica queens and a thatching Formica queen. Sadly Formica subserica are not polygenous cause I put the queens together and one died the next day. The thatching Formica queen I caught while hiking and I know she is a thatching ant cause I saw the nest she flow from which was a thatching ant colony with this huge mound next to a rock. Sadly she was infertile so I put her in isopropyl alcohol to study her. Also the place with the thatching ant colony had around 40 colonies of thatching ants so I am probably going to go again hopefully next year! They also had different castes of workers some big and some small.

'Thatching ants' is the common name for Formica social parasites. Did you provide hosts for her? Also, Formica subsericea is polygynous. Yours was probably F. argentea, which is identical to the naked eye, but not polygynous.

#197 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 28 2020 - 11:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

'Thatching ants' is the common name for Formica social parasites. Did you provide hosts for her? Also, Formica subsericea is polygynous. Yours was probably F. argentea, which is identical to the naked eye, but not polygynous.
Hmm. In my experience F. argentea is polygynous too... I probably screwed the ID up, so I'll put a worker under my microscope again.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 28 2020 - 11:18 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#198 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 28 2020 - 7:07 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

'Thatching ants' is the common name for Formica social parasites. Did you provide hosts for her? Also, Formica subsericea is polygynous. Yours was probably F. argentea, which is identical to the naked eye, but not polygynous.

I put her in isopropyl alchohol so she is dead cause she was infertile and flying I am preserving her as a specimen for studies

#199 Offline AntsExodus - Posted August 18 2020 - 7:10 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Sorry I haven't said anything in a while I've been doing school and working on other stuff. Well anyways I have a lot to say.

My Hypoponera colony had a weird civil war and they killed each other unit the last person. I don't know what happened they were caught all together as a colony so it was weird.

The Camponotus americanus queen I got had her nanatics and then the next day the queen died and the workers were all fine. It looked like the workers strangled her to death. I don't know why they killed her as they where her biological workers and the queen was not brood boosted.

My Camponotus chromaidoes colony had a unknown die out which was weird but they are still alive.

My Trachymyrmex colony has lost all their fungus due to me going out on a little trip to Florida even though I put a test tube in their setup so I will soon be donating fungus to them.

Now the good news

My Lasius colony has been exploding in population and they have so many new workers soon to be born!

My 2 Queen and 3 Queen Pheidole bicarinata colony has their very first nanatics!

My 3 queen Brachymyrmex patagonicus colony has around 20 nanatics and my other 5 2 queen Brachymyrmex colonies have cocoons and my other 3 queen Brachymyrmex colony only has eggs but I still have hopes for them.

Caught 4 more Pheidole Bicarinata queens last night which is nice.

My Formica queen got her first nanatics and they are stunning!

Sorry about a lot of the unknown things as I am trying to find out why some of them happened but some I think were just part of life. Sorry I haven't been updating this journal school is tough and I have something I am working on and I am getting some new pets so I have less time to be in Formiculture and I apologize. Thanks to everyone who has been helping me with tips and just moral support!

Edited by AntsExodus, August 18 2020 - 7:11 AM.

• AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

#200 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 18 2020 - 7:18 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Real life things are more important then updating some journal about ants. But know Formiculture is here to help you with your adventure into this crazy hobby that is Ant keeping whenever you need it.

Edited by TechAnt, August 18 2020 - 7:19 AM.

• AntsExodus and TestSubjectOne like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users