• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Russia!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted January 18 2020 - 11:39 PM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone, my name is Michael. My experience of keeping ants is over three years. Not so long ago, I bought at the auction Iridomyrmex bicknelli. And, no matter how strange it may sound, I need help with this opinion. The problem is that in this family the eggs do not develop, they have lain for about a week and have not turned into larvae, it bothers me very much. If you can, please help. I will be very grateful to you.

Отправлено с моего Redmi 4A через Tapatalk
  • Martialis likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 19 2020 - 3:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to FC! Maybe your colony is not warm enough if the eggs aren’t developing. What temperature are you keeping them at?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 19 2020 - 3:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds like someone might have sold you an infertile dealate.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted January 19 2020 - 10:15 AM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sounds like someone might have sold you an infertile dealate.

Sorry, I forgot to say that these are eggs of the second generation.

#5 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted January 19 2020 - 10:17 AM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Welcome to FC! Maybe your colony is not warm enough if the eggs aren’t developing. What temperature are you keeping them at?

I'm afraid to overheat them, because it can cause death.

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 19 2020 - 1:13 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I'm an antkeeping newbie but do they need brumination? I read that some colonies can miss their first or or two cold hibernation periods but run into trouble later.

I have a Camponotus colony whose eggs/larvae aren't developing either. Mystified.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 20 2020 - 12:42 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I'm an antkeeping newbie but do they need brumination? I read that some colonies can miss their first or or two cold hibernation periods but run into trouble later.
I have a Camponotus colony whose eggs/larvae aren't developing either. Mystified.

This species is native throughout Australia and New Guinea, so doesn’t necessarily require a hibernation period. However, do you know that these are in fact her workers, and she was not brood boosted at all? A week isn’t terribly long, so it might take a little longer before you notice the change into larval form.

#8 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted December 24 2020 - 9:42 PM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Well,i sold them.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 24 2020 - 9:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Well,i sold them.

Uh, ok.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted December 24 2020 - 9:55 PM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Well,i sold them.

Uh, ok.

But, i have a 2 colonies of Pheidole. One are too small and two colonie are big and strong. And, they lives in big terrarium.

Edited by Pheidole_love, December 24 2020 - 9:55 PM.

#11 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted December 24 2020 - 9:57 PM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

This species is native throughout Australia and New Guinea, so doesn’t necessarily require a hibernation period. However, do you know that these are in fact her workers, and she was not brood boosted at all? A week isn’t terribly long, so it might take a little longer before you notice the change into larval form.

They need diapause, but they don't need hibernation.

#12 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted December 24 2020 - 10:00 PM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Also, I can order you to catch the queen ant from Russia next summer. 

#13 Offline AleeGuy - Posted December 25 2020 - 7:49 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Добро пожаловать в formiculture, ты спрашиваешь купить маток муравьев из США и отправить к тебе? это нелегально если что. Диапауза и спячка/зимовка почти одно и тоже, в диапаузе просто живые существа попадают в спячку до того как станет холодно(осенью) а в спячке/зимовке они попадают в спячку как только станет холодно, так что у них нету такого огромного отличия

#14 Offline Pheidole_love - Posted December 25 2020 - 9:25 AM

Pheidole_love

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Добро пожаловать в formiculture, ты спрашиваешь купить маток муравьев из США и отправить к тебе? это нелегально если что. Диапауза и спячка/зимовка почти одно и тоже, в диапаузе просто живые существа попадают в спячку до того как станет холодно(осенью) а в спячке/зимовке они попадают в спячку как только станет холодно, так что у них нету такого огромного отличия

In my latitudes, ants collect food before the first snow and frost, and only after that they go underground for a full winter. And no, I don't want to buy ants yet, I want to sell them. Well, if it's illegal under the laws of your country/state, then okay.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 9:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do you speak Russian, AleeGuy? That would be really cool.

#16 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:07 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I was wondering that too, do you speak it or was that just Google Translate or something?

#17 Offline AleeGuy - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:13 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I was wondering that too, do you speak it or was that just Google Translate or something?
I do speak Russian

#18 Offline AleeGuy - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:16 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

In my latitudes, ants collect food before the first snow and frost, and only after that they go underground for a full winter. And no, I don't want to buy ants yet, I want to sell them. Well, if it's illegal under the laws of your country/state, then okay.
ye, it is illegal for the country, for Canada too iirc

#19 Offline Devi - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:31 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I do speak Russian

That's super cool.  I didn't know that!

• AleeGuy likes this

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 25 2020 - 12:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very cool. I wish I could learn Russian. Their ant keeping knowledge is light years ahead of ours, and as Ovechkin says, “Russian machine never breaks.”
  • AleeGuy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users