• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to get ants to move?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WILLj - Posted January 13 2020 - 11:48 PM

WILLj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey, I need some advice on trying to get my colony of pheidole to move into a new formicarium. I have to move them into a new formicarium as their old one is due for a clean. I have exposed them to light for nearly 4 hours with the new formicarium hooked up and still they show no signs of moving. I am worried the light may stress the queen out and possibly kill her. Could someone please tell me if that is a possibility and some tips on getting ants to move. Any response would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 14 2020 - 4:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
With Pheidole, I just dump the colony into the new outworld (if they're in a tube).

#3 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 14 2020 - 6:29 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Yesterday I forced a Tetramorium colony to move by whacking their multi-compartment glass tube until they fell out into the outer compartment, and from there I whacked them until they fell into the tubing. Repeat until most of the brood, workers, and queen were in tubing. Plugged off tubing. Other end of tube was in mini-hearth.

By the way a couple of my queens are under light all day long and doing okay, though the above colony collected enough sand to plaster over the glass.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 14 2020 - 3:56 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Research. It depends on species. For pheidole in general, expose them to open air. It's usually enough. 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 14 2020 - 5:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The common method is shining an LED or florescent light (one that doesn't significantly heat the tube, which could cook the ants inside) on them, and the ants, being naturally photophobic, just might move into a darker environment. As mentioned, it depends on species, and they may just have to be dumped.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 15 2020 - 1:19 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Speaking of which I'm trying to force my new Veromessors to move to a new tube from their previous tube. Unfortunately their cotton is a bit of a mess (they were digging in it like crazy and stuff) so they have really good stuff to grip with their feet (so much for whacking), and they don't seem very good at retrieving lost brood, so I'm going to have to try the light therapy on them. Bleh -_- 

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 15 2020 - 5:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've had a queen get strangled in cotton strands.....  :(

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 16 2020 - 3:32 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

I've had a queen get strangled in cotton strands..... :(

Ugh, not surprised. Thankfully she actually moved to the other tube overnight with the egg pile so today I rudely whacked the last holdouts into the new tube and put them back in their outworld.

Tetramorium sp.

#9 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted January 16 2020 - 4:51 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

just dump them in

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop: