• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termite story

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 12 2020 - 2:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
As you all probably know, people who value insects, especially social insects, are a tiny minority. As a homeowner and gardener, I’ve always aimed to help insects of all kinds by planting native plants and creating diverse habitats with rotting wood, stones, and brush piles. I recently had to sadly deal with a big oak tree in my yard that had died due to some kind of fungus, which is my theory at least. My plan was to save a ton of money plus help all kinds of wildlife by cutting off all the branches and just leaving up the trunk as a snag. I have another snag like this on another side of my yard that is home to Crematogaster and Camponotus colonies. I had a tree company come out to do this work.
The problem came in when my idiot neighbor threw a fit complaining about my plan and criticizing my “scary looking, termite infested stump on the other side.” I told the fool my plan and that I couldn’t afford to remove the whole tree. What does he do? He went behind my back calling the company to cut down the stump and said he would pay the difference. Wanting to maintain some kind of peace plus the fact that my wife didn’t like the stump, I had to pay the company to remove the whole stump.
I saved a bunch of dead wood, though, for my termites and told my ignorant neighbor that as long as I pay the mortgage here, social insects of all kinds will be welcome, especially termites. Thanks for reading, I needed to get this off my chest.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 2:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't really like people like that. They can be nice people, I just don't like that type of bias.

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:10 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

He had a tree cut down on your property without your permission?

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

He had a tree cut down on your property without your permission?

No, he is a busybody that thought he was “helping.” I didn’t want to owe him anything, plus my wife didn’t like the stump, so I had to shell out $850 I didn’t have to remove it.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users