• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Howdy from Austin.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mandible_Boy - Posted December 12 2019 - 7:25 PM

Mandible_Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Howdy, all. Finals are finally over and now I have time for the formicarium project I've been thinking of for a while. Looking forward to asking lots of questions and making some beautiful habitats! 

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 12 2019 - 8:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Welcome! Texas is a hotspot for ant diversity and has many amazing genera such as odontomachus, neoponera, pogonomyrmex, myrmecocystus and many more. As for current nuptial flights, solenopsis invicta is always flying en masse and their extremely fast growth coupled with being a very easy species to keep alive makes them a great test subject for your formicariums.

#3 Offline Mandible_Boy - Posted December 12 2019 - 10:58 PM

Mandible_Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

It's funny you say that, I was reading a neat paper from Texas A&M (gig' em) that covered the different species of ants in Texas. I got about halfway through the list before I was like "man, Texas has a lot of ants". 

Solenopsis invicta sounds ideal! And what great name.I'll start looking into them, thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users