• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How does the "Friends" system work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 6 2020 - 4:14 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

As some of you probably know, i'm relatively new to this forum and don't know much about it. However, when I signed up, I was only coming here exclusively for helpful info, not really to make friends (if some of you are wondering why I haven't answered your friend requests, this is kind of the reason). BUT I don't want to make it look like i'm ignoring anyone, so I just want to know how the thing works (I couldn't find anything on Friends in the forums so I thought i'd ask), and then maybe i'll consider having friends. But once again, and please don't take this the wrong way: I'm here (primarily) for information, not relation.

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 6 2020 - 4:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

As some of you probably know, i'm relatively new to this forum and don't know much about it. However, when I signed up, I was only coming here exclusively for helpful info, not really to make friends (if some of you are wondering why I haven't answered your friend requests, this is kind of the reason). BUT I don't want to make it look like i'm ignoring anyone, so I just want to know how the thing works (I couldn't find anything on Friends in the forums so I thought i'd ask), and then maybe i'll consider having friends. But once again, and please don't take this the wrong way: I'm here (primarily) for information, not relation.

Its just that. Friends. I don't believe it does anything else, but I don't know, I don't have any experience with the system. It helps if you plan to meet with someone, I guess.

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 6 2020 - 4:44 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Well, what I really meant was what's the difference between normal users and friends?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 6 2020 - 4:44 PM.

#4 Offline Reacker - Posted January 6 2020 - 5:21 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I don't think that the friends system really does anything useful. It seems to exist just to exist.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter and DDD101DDD like this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 6 2020 - 7:18 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I know, you can show off the fact that people actually like you.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 6 2020 - 7:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Simply another asset to the forum. It's also just a way to show that you enjoy the person's posts, aside from the like button.  I never bother too much with it.  I just set it as anyone can friend, no need for a request.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 7 2020 - 3:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It's basically 'liking' the person instead of a post.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 7 2020 - 5:15 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

It can come in handy if you want to look up a 'friend's recent posts or send a private message. Nothing crucial. I wouldn't worry about not using the feature.

The only thing that matter is is that you find useful information on this site and share new information if you think it is worthy.

Edited by Lazarus, January 7 2020 - 5:16 PM.

• Cblake113 likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users