• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Eggs in the Out World - update Queen moved to outworld

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ben_zach - Posted December 23 2019 - 1:55 PM

ben_zach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Everyone

We are still relatively Newbie's (ie 9 months in)

We are based in Australia with Camponotus Aeneopilosus colony of 12 workers in a Tar Heel Mini Hearth.

It is our first summer here and the queen is sitting on a large collection of eggs - the first since the winter months.

The queen and the batch of eggs are positioned on top of the internal water reservoir within the Mini Hearth.

The colony seems to be stable however in the last week each morning the workers have started to bring batches of eggs up into the outworld.

The first few days it was only one or two eggs each time - i thought that maybe the nest was too dry and so watered the nest through the back water hole.

Since doing that each day they are now bringing up more eggs each morning 4-8 each time.

We turn on a lamp next to where the nest is and the light seems to encourage them to take the eggs back down.

I am now thinking that maybe I have over watered the nest and the extra moisture is causing them to take the eggs up.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ben & Zach

Edited by ben_zach, December 28 2019 - 4:05 PM.

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted December 23 2019 - 1:59 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Yes this is very common. I think they are trying to get more heat for the eggs. Maybe give them a heat mat and put a small portion under the mini hearth. A heating cable will work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline CampoKing - Posted December 23 2019 - 3:12 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Yeah your Camponotus is mostly a soil-dwelling species, where its common to store the eggs and larvae near the soil surface for warmth. That's very likely what they are doing.

I once had a colony store pupae in the outworld because it was simply too crowded for brood in the nest.

Edited by CampoKing, December 23 2019 - 3:41 PM.

• ben_zach likes this

#4 Offline ben_zach - Posted December 23 2019 - 4:57 PM

ben_zach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok thanks for the advice.

It is summer here but the enclosure is in the living space that could be affected by our air conditioner so this could be causing the temps to be lower than they like.

I'll have think about heating sources or even relocating them to somewhere a little warmer in the house.

#5 Offline ben_zach - Posted December 28 2019 - 2:57 PM

ben_zach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys - now the queen has moved up into the outworld with all the eggs. Any additional suggestions on steps I should take would be very appreciated. I will move them somewhere warmer in the house but would like to resolve the Queen issue first??

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 29 2019 - 10:16 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would move em back into a test tube at this point.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 29 2019 - 10:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I would move em back into a test tube at this point.

I second this. Camponotus are just weird.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline CampoKing - Posted January 4 2020 - 7:11 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Ok if the *queen* has moved out, it's a sign that the colony just does not approve of whatever habitat they're in.
Might just have to backtrack to where they were previously happier, whether that was an original test tube or other place.

I think temperature is your main concern. There is a genus of ants in the States (Pogonomyrmex), where I am, that lives in a climate & nests similar to your C. aeneopilosus & they refuse to settle down if the temperature isn't -at least- 27C

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users