• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

All my inverts

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 24 2019 - 5:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

New scaber color morph

RSCN0122.JPG?width=500&height=375RSCN0109.JPG?width=500&height=375RSCN0111.JPG?width=500&height=375

• Scherme likes this

#42 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 25 2019 - 3:16 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Got new globular springtails, these are vey small and reddish orange with big eyes. Also found new porcellionides that are orange, and the armadillidium nasatum are actually all vulgare.

#43 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 26 2019 - 5:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Went looking for zebra springtails, didn't see any but did find two new springtails. One is the largest species i have, and ranges from grey to orange.

RSCN0147.JPG?width=500&height=375RSCN0136.JPG?width=500&height=375

Second is another globular springtail, this one extremely small to the point where I have a hard time spotting them.

• rdurham02 likes this

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 30 2019 - 11:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I just added some new bluish grey springtails to my salad box set up on the patio. They congregate on the surface of my birdbath for some reason. I’ve seen this happen before on warm winter days. It seems like they are mating or something. Do you think this is accidental, or do they like grouping up on water surfaces for some reason? They can walk right over the surface tension, even jump.

Edited by ANTdrew, December 30 2019 - 11:19 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#45 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 30 2019 - 3:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I just added some new bluish grey springtails to my salad box set up on the patio. They congregate on the surface of my birdbath for some reason. I’ve seen this happen before on warm winter days. It seems like they are mating or something. Do you think this is accidental, or do they like grouping up on water surfaces for some reason? They can walk right over the surface tension, even jump.

Very commonly seen, but I still love those types. My guess is the genus podura. Well known for living on the surface of water, I would suggest giving them a little bin of water with some rocks/wood protruding from the waters surface. They eat algae and dead arthropods on the water surface.

#46 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 30 2019 - 4:24 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Liometopum luctosum, first time seeing them here.

RSCN0176.JPG?width=500&height=375RSCN0185.JPG?width=500&height=375

#47 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 30 2019 - 4:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dictyoptera sp

RSCN0163.JPG?width=500&height=375

#48 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 2 2020 - 4:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

RSCN0207.JPG?width=500&height=375

Dwarf whites had their first gen of babies.

• AntsDakota likes this

#49 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 5 2020 - 3:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Found absolute giant springtails, getting close to 2 mm.

DSCN9975.JPG?width=500&height=375

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#50 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 6 2020 - 3:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I used to keep massive colonies of isopods. I'd flip over rocks and collect them, and fed them leaf litter. I just hated it when I picked up pregnant ones, though. The thought of hundreds of them crawling onto my finger just wasn't that appealing.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#51 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 6 2020 - 4:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I used to keep massive colonies of isopods. I'd flip over rocks and collect them, and fed them leaf litter. I just hated it when I picked up pregnant ones, though. The thought of hundreds of them crawling onto my finger just wasn't that appealing.

The thoughts actually pretty sad. Females only expel young when they feel they are in extreme danger, and even then the young usually don't make it without the protection of their mother. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#52 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 7 2020 - 3:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Actually, the environment was enclosed, moist, and had plenty of food; very hospitable for isopods. Many of the young survived, as they could be seen feeding with the others. I actually find them quite cute if they aren't swarming all over my hand.  :)

Edited by AntsDakota, January 7 2020 - 3:34 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#53 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 7 2020 - 4:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually, the environment was enclosed, moist, and had plenty of food; very hospitable for isopods. Many of the young survived, as they could be seen feeding with the others. I actually find them quite cute if they aren't swarming all over my hand.  :)

I meant when you picked them up.

#54 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 8 2020 - 4:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I dropped the mother into the enclosure with her young on her. I didn't directly harm any of them. I meant that I didn't want to have them crawling on my hand, and I didn't. 

#55 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Brackenridgia sp

RSCN9996.JPG?width=500&height=375

Found three. Basically our native dwarf whites.

Edited by ponerinecat, January 9 2020 - 7:57 PM.

#56 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 9 2020 - 7:28 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Nice. I'm hoping to get P. ornatus and P. expansus to add to my pod collection soon.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#57 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 9 2020 - 7:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice, I adore P. expansus. Our native equivalent is Ligia pallasii, a seaside species that needs salt water for survival.

800px-Ligia_pallasii.jpg?width=500&heigh

#58 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 10 2020 - 5:22 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

That looks so weird, and cool at the same time.

#59 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 10 2020 - 6:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Went to the local railroad, saw some ant loving springtails and lots of liometopum luctosum.

#60 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 8:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Went looking for zebra springtails, didn't see any but did find two new springtails. One is the largest species i have, and ranges from grey to orange.
RSCN0147.JPG?width=500&height=375RSCN0136.JPG?width=500&height=375
Second is another globular springtail, this one extremely small to the point where I have a hard time spotting them.

I just found some springtails like the large one pictured above. I added them to my set up, plus some of the spring beauty seeds in there are starting to germinate!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users