• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

All my inverts

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#201 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 1 2020 - 9:17 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Are millipede males the mate-and-die type? I was hiking yesterday and there were dead millipedes everywhere. The only other alternative I could think of was disease, or maybe someone took the time to kill every millipede they saw.

#202 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2020 - 10:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Those millipedes must have nasty chemical protections, judging from their coloration. Stunning, actually.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#203 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 1 2020 - 11:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Those millipedes must have nasty chemical protections, judging from their coloration. Stunning, actually.

Indeed, the family is known for having those yellow fringes. The chemicals they produce actually have an extremely concentrated fruit smell, often described as being similar to almonds.

• ANTdrew likes this

#204 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 1 2020 - 7:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They're here!

Armadillidium nasatum peach

med_gallery_3141_1757_297563.jpg

Armadillidium granulatum

med_gallery_3141_1757_741982.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1757_520482.jpg

Cubaris murina

med_gallery_3141_1757_659196.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1757_757458.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1757_284555.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1757_39455.jpg

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota, OhNoNotAgain and 1 other like this

#205 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 2 2020 - 5:24 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

This is am amazing journal. Lots of cool and rare species. Especially glad I'm here cause you aren't posting any of this stuff on Arachnoboards ponerinecat, ha ha.

Question: would you be interested in selling/trading some of your B. producta and/or B. rosea?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#206 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 2 2020 - 5:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I believe I’ve seen some A. granulatum before.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#207 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:17 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Not likely, an european sp. There are however wild vulgare variants with yellow, but they don't possess the flanged skirt and bumpy texture of grannies.

This is am amazing journal. Lots of cool and rare species. Especially glad I'm here cause you aren't posting any of this stuff on Arachnoboards ponerinecat, ha ha.

Question: would you be interested in selling/trading some of your B. producta and/or B. rosea?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

I will be selling as soon as possible, but only within California.

• AntsDakota likes this

#208 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 2 2020 - 7:52 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Ay, not likely to be A. granulatum as ponerinecat said. A. vulgare can look very similar however.

Not likely, an european sp. There are however wild vulgare variants with yellow, but they don't possess the flanged skirt and bumpy texture of grannies.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Good thing I am in California then!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• AntsDakota likes this

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#209 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 3 2020 - 5:35 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I don't know the scientific name, but you should get rubber ducky isopods if you don't have them already.

#210 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 3 2020 - 5:57 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Yeah, probably yellow vulgare.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#211 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:20 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't know the scientific name, but you should get rubber ducky isopods if you don't have them already.

You mean blow several hundred dollars for 5 individuals who may just die? Nah, I'd rather not. I did get a trade offer for them a while ago, but the virus stopped it from being fulfilled and Ill have to wait until the vendor gets them back in stock. They don't have a scientific name btw, unsubscribed species, classed under the pet community as a Cubaris sp "rubber ducky."

#212 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 3 2020 - 8:26 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

You mean blow several hundred dollars for 5 individuals who may just die? Nah, I'd rather not. I did get a trade offer for them a while ago, but the virus stopped it from being fulfilled and Ill have to wait until the vendor gets them back in stock. They don't have a scientific name btw, unsubscribed species, classed under the pet community as a Cubaris sp "rubber ducky."

Actually this species cost has come down dramatically. From the several hundred dollar range you can now get a half-dozen for $90 from Orin McMonigle, and other places offer them for around $120-$150 for 10-12 specimens, not counting freebies. They are also one of the most prolific and easy-to-care for Cubaris sp. that I know of (aside from the hardy, prolific C. sp. "Red Tigers").

That said, they are still more expensive than they should be in my opinion.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#213 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 9:41 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually this species cost has come down dramatically. From the several hundred dollar range you can now get a half-dozen for $90 from Orin McMonigle, and other places offer them for around $120-$150 for 10-12 specimens, not counting freebies. They are also one of the most prolific and easy-to-care for Cubaris sp. that I know of (aside from the hardy, prolific C. sp. "Red Tigers").

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Mmm, good to know. I'll bet soon enough there will be another new isopod to take it's place :P But yeah as of know I'm not really looking to buy any more isopods, mostly just managing my current animals(My assorted armadillidium need a serious downsizing/sorting) and bulking up on the springtails.

#214 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 3 2020 - 10:00 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

How many species of isopods do you have?

#215 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 10:06 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How many species of isopods do you have?

at least 12, maybe 13 or 14 based on the fact that there may be a few unsorted sp in my armadillidium bin. Used to have an extra 2, but all my semi aqua pods died, and I havent bothered collecting them again.

#216 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 3 2020 - 10:44 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Mmm, good to know. I'll bet soon enough there will be another new isopod to take it's place :P But yeah as of know I'm not really looking to buy any more isopods, mostly just managing my current animals(My assorted armadillidium need a serious downsizing/sorting) and bulking up on the springtails.

Oh, it's already happened. There are dozens of new Cubaris that are being sold at (in my opinion) atrocious prices for very few specimens. Just look at any price for C. sp. "Spiky Thai" or "Panda King".

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#217 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 11:44 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the polyxenidae are making a comeback. I'm collecting more and adding them in, and the deaths have stopped. There are however still a few stains on the walls. a gruesome reminder of what can happen :(

• Arthroverts likes this

#218 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 3 2020 - 2:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Entomobryomorpha sp.

med_gallery_3141_1757_194302.jpg

And an adult Venezillo parvus.

med_gallery_3141_1757_170439.jpg

• AntsDakota and OhNoNotAgain like this

#219 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 4 2020 - 10:53 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

V. parvus are pretty little isopods! But so shy and small.

And yeah, I have a couple wild A. vulgare that ALMOST look like A. granulatum. Certainly some granulatum are lacking big spots, too.

I'd have to say my favorite Armadillidium, coloration-wise, would be A. gestroi. Klugii, maculatum (esp. yellow-striped... not that I have any), orange variants (vulgare "orange vigor" is beautiful), and "magic potion" variants are also incredibly cool; I like spotty granulatum, too, and some granulatum have interesting base colors (a "magic potion" variant is apparently out, too).

Cubaris ... someday I'd like white tigers. Mostly because they look like trilobites.  :lol:

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, June 4 2020 - 11:03 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#220 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Here's another ID request. These are small (slightly less than 1mm) silvery gray springtails I found in rotting plant matter last summer. They live in my salad box, but mostly under the top layer of soil. Sorry for the poo poo photos, but these things are too small and fast.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users