• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can I hibernate all my ants at 10°c?

hibernate wine cooler 10°c

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rob11420 - Posted December 14 2019 - 7:50 AM

Rob11420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

So I recently got a wine cooler to hibernate my ants in but I'm not 100% sure if it's safe to put all my colonies in at the same temperature (10°c) as they are from different countries (England, Italy and Greece). I have seven different species:

(England)

1. Lasius Niger

2. Myrmica Rubra

3. Temnothorax Nylanderi

(Italy)

4. Messor Capitatus

5. Cataglyphis Italica

(Greece)

6. Nylanderia Vividula 

7. Camponotus Ionius

The two that I'm most unsure about are 5 and 6.

I can't find a lot of information online about Cataglyphis Italica and I'm not even sure if Nylanderia Vividula hibernate at all!

Can anyone please help me with this? I would really appreciate it   (y)

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 14 2019 - 8:42 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I wouldn't hibernate 4, 5, 6, or 7 in a fridge. Just remove the heating cable. I would even still offer them food every once in a while. I would also love to see pictures and a journal for your Cataglyphis.

• Rob11420 likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Rob11420 - Posted December 15 2019 - 7:51 AM

Rob11420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

I wouldn't hibernate 4, 5, 6, or 7 in a fridge. Just remove the heating cable. I would even still offer them food every once in a while. I would also love to see pictures and a journal for your Cataglyphis.

Thank you for the quick reply  :)  The thing is, I don't use a heat cable or heat mat because the temperature in my flat is normally quite high, around 26°c (sometimes up to 29°c) and doesn't really drop below 23°c. Will the Messor and Camponotus be okay with that? Do you think 10°c is too cold for them?

Last year I put the Lasius and Myrmica in the fridge but the temperature wasn't very consistent and dropped to 1-2°c so about a 1/3 of the workers died  :( I put the Camponotus between a double window and tried to regulate the temperature (aiming for 15°c) by opening or closing the inside or outside windows, however when I was out one night the temperature dropped below 0°c but luckily they survived. I didn't hibernate the Messor (not enough space by window) or the Nylanderia. The Cataglyphis and Temnothorax were caught this year.

I have a few videos/photos of the Cataglyphis but they are not the greatest quality but yeah I think I will make a journal about them  (y)  they seem to be doing well and have about 18 workers but no brood at the moment.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users