• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Steady State Population?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mandible_Boy - Posted December 14 2019 - 1:53 PM

Mandible_Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Howdy, all. So, I'm prepping my formicarium this weekend (build thread incoming) and wanted to ask a question about population control. I have what will end up being a very large outworld (it's a 10 gallon aquarium); I'll only have a single formicarium in, initially, it but there's room for many, many more. Obviously, I'm looking forward to having a large, thriving colony but I'm always looking out as far as I can....

So, what happens when the aquarium reaches its carrying capacity? Will ants typically hit a stable equilibrium if not given more room to expand? Most importantly, is this healthy for the colony within the confines of a formicarium? That is, if they reach the carrying capacity of their confines, is there going to be some catastrophe where they all die out? What should I be doing when it looks like they're approaching their carrying capacity, in any case? 

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted December 14 2019 - 2:15 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

So, what happens when the aquarium reaches its carrying capacity? Will ants typically hit a stable equilibrium if not given more room to expand? Most importantly, is this healthy for the colony within the confines of a formicarium? That is, if they reach the carrying capacity of their confines, is there going to be some catastrophe where they all die out? 

There will probably be "waves" of die offs, depending on the species. Keep in mind that ants will try to escape if they can, thus expanding carrying capacity. You might want to use a species known for having smaller colonies in the formicarium. 

Honestly, they might end up trying to move into the aquarium itself if it's hospitable enough. Keep some decomposers in it to take care of their detritus and reduce your workload. Also, you'll definitely need to introduce food consistently. I 'm not sure if a stable "prey" population could be established to cohabitate with the ants.

What should I be doing when it looks like they're approaching their carrying capacity, in any case? 

I've always been a bit "laissez faire," but I'd just leave the mini-ecosystem in the aquarium to take care of it. Given, I've never sterilized any of the dirt I've used for terrariums and ants in them seemed fine. One hosted a Tapinoma colony with thousands of workers for a while.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Mandible_Boy - Posted December 14 2019 - 7:42 PM

Mandible_Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Okay, that's about what I was thinking. As long as it's not severely negatively impacting the health of the ecosystem, I can live with it. 

I'm going to try to make the outworld as unfavorable as possible for colonization. A very, very thin layer of sterilized dirt, their watering implements and not much else. I am planning on having a potted dandelion in there, so hopefully they don't try colonizing its pot. The breed will likely be a dry-loving species of carpenter, so hopefully keeping the plant watered will keep them away.  

Also, could you recommend a decomposer? It will likely be a fairly dry formicarium with a heated pad for temp control. 

Edited by Mandible_Boy, December 14 2019 - 7:45 PM.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users