• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wine cooler is in storage - hibernate in fridge?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted November 22 2019 - 12:01 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

hi all - 

I am getting ready to put 5 colonies into diapause. I know it's late in the season, but life has been chaos because we were supposed to move into a new house 2 months ago, but are still stuck in a small apartment with most of my things in storage - including my wine cooler!

2 x Lasius Niger, Tetramoriam Caspicus, Camponotus pennsylvanicus. and a Myrmecocystus mexicanus queen with 4 workers just a week or two old 

So, I 'm thinking to use the fridge. I worry that it might be too cold, and also that the vibration and shock from the door/motor will disturb the ants. So I build a little cardboard box with bubble wrap to cushion vibration, and hopefully they'll be OK. 

I checked the temp and it was about 34f, but I can adjust it up and see if I can get it up to closer to 40. 

Does this sound like a reasonable plan ?I can see them slowing down and trying to go into diapuse - they aren't active at all, so I really need to cool them off!!

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted November 27 2019 - 9:03 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I put mine in the fridge and it works just fine. The temperature in my fridge is a little closer to 40f though, so I would definitely raise it up from 34f. If they are in test tubes then wrap the tubes up in Kleenex and tape it together. I'd put them on the door of the fridge (on the racks where you might hold mustard or something like that) because the temperature will be most stable there. Whatever you do, don't put them at the back and up high. This is usually the coldest spot, and it occasionally will dip below freezing even if the rest of the fridge is set at 40f. Hope this helps.

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users