• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

anyone know anything about strugimenys ananceotes?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 14 2019 - 9:55 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

https://dearkitty1.w...ies-in-the-usa/

i found this article interesting. ferox formicae it has a video of yours.

also anyone heard of this species before?

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 14 2019 - 10:07 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina
Wow! That’s so cool they used a video of mine! I have heard about this species before. I was actually just reading an article about the species this morning and I’ve seen it on AntWeb on a few occasions. It seems to be a close relative of S. arizonensis and the first member of its genus in the area it was found in.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 14 2019 - 11:04 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

ferox formicae do you think there is any chances of strugineys being in washington state or any other members do you think this is possible

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 14 2019 - 12:39 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a very good possibility of Strumigenys being found in Washington. Summers are too short and 90% of Washington is far too dry (even in the rain shadow its under 40% humidity, I've lived there).

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 14 2019 - 1:58 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow! That’s so cool they used a video of mine! I have heard about this species before. I was actually just reading an article about the species this morning and I’ve seen it on AntWeb on a few occasions. It seems to be a close relative of S. arizonensis and the first member of its genus in the area it was found in.

Yay you're famous. Now find North American proatta.

#6 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 14 2019 - 2:45 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a very good possibility of Strumigenys being found in Washington. Summers are too short and 90% of Washington is far too dry (even in the rain shadow its under 40% humidity, I've lived there).

what about in Washington's temperate rain forest? although you're probably right about the summers. i think where the strugimenys ananceotes is also dry.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 14 2019 - 2:47 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

what about in Washington's temperate rain forest? although you're probably right about the summers. i think where the strugimenys ananceotes is also dry.

I've never been. It's worth a look. Check in summer though. 

#8 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 14 2019 - 2:52 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

yeah, i have family in olympia and last summer i looked for ants there but i knew next to nothing about finding ants so i found almost no ants. do you or anyone else have tips for finding ants?

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 14 2019 - 2:53 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

But, apparently Camponotus nicobarensis has been collected in Snoqualmie.

yeah, i have family in olympia and last summer i looked for ants there but i knew next to nothing about finding ants so i found almost no ants. do you or anyone else have tips for finding ants?

What species?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, November 14 2019 - 2:54 PM.

#10 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted November 14 2019 - 2:56 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

they where small and orange, i don't know what they where. i also saw a formica species on a log my grandma does not live in the city so i thought there might be more ants. but only found 2 species. at my other grandmas house in idaho i have found multiple formica species including 1 parasitic species, 2 camponotus species, several lasius neoniger colonies overwintering their alates, tapinoma sessile, and tetramorium species. 

#11 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 14 2019 - 6:46 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

ferox formicae do you think there is any chances of strugineys being in washington state or any other members do you think this is possible

Strumigenys is one of the most widespread and diverse ant genera in the world, so a little bit of leaf litter sampling would probably reveal that they've been there all along.

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 14 2019 - 7:01 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

There may be, but I doubt there are any native species. If anything, the invasive Strumigenys membranifera may exist in Washington, but there is still a fairly slim chance of that.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 14 2019 - 11:07 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Until recently, Strumigenys were not known to exist in Wisconsin. Then AnthonyP163 found them there. Multiple times. There is a reason why people never find them, and furthermore, likely giant holes in the known distribution of species. They are incredibly cryptic, and their prey does its best to stay underground. I would bet my life that Washington has Strumigenys somewhere in the state.

• Aaron567, TennesseeAnts and camponotuskeeper like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 15 2019 - 1:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

easiest way to find out is to sample multiple collections of leaf litter. They are usually regionally common and just rarely seen.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users