• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yall got some experience with harvester ants?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 7 2019 - 11:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They only need seeds. Seeds have the carbs and protein they colony needs. I have seen one of my workers eat a seed in the past.
  • AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#22 Offline Broncos - Posted November 7 2019 - 2:57 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
They only NEED seeds, correct but insect protein has more protein and can really benefit the colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#23 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 7 2019 - 4:07 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I gonna provide them with a constant supply of seeds, a variety of insects and whatever else they take like fruits or whatever.

They know exactly what they need and I gonna adjust the supply according to how much of it they choose to consume.

Speaking about messor barbarus i know for a fact they eat more then just seeds. They could probably survive with them but I wanna give them the best I can provide and not just what's necessary.
  • TennesseeAnts, Broncos and DDD101DDD like this

#24 Offline Broncos - Posted November 7 2019 - 4:33 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Now that is a true pet owner

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#25 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 8 2019 - 8:08 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I just found out that they make something called ant bread out of the seeds and eat that. That's crazy I never heard of that before. They break down the seeds mix it with saliva out comes the ant bread.

The seeds have everything they need but they love insects as well.
And they don't need much extra sugar.

Took me a bit to get the full picture but I think I understand now.

They have some preferences for nesting and I gonna make something unique can't wait to show that.
In nature they walk on paths to foraging areas and dig pretty deep but they are not born climbers but I wanna make high terrain.

Now that's where the setup is gonna be unique

#26 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 8 2019 - 8:29 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Finally I can give some info back on this thread.

They like to dig very deep cause they often life in hot and dry climates so they make deep chambers to escape the heat

#27 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 11 2019 - 2:52 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

They only need seeds. Seeds have the carbs and protein they colony needs. I have seen one of my workers eat a seed in the past.

If you have messor there's a good chance the worker was making the ant bread I was referring to 2 posts above.
They don't really directly eat the seeds but have the extra step of mixing it with saliva and that mixture is called ant bread.

They only need seeds but a variety is optimal especially insect protein.
But that's messor barbarus that's about how far my knowledge goes

#28 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 11 2019 - 7:22 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

If you have messor there's a good chance the worker was making the ant bread I was referring to 2 posts above.
They don't really directly eat the seeds but have the extra step of mixing it with saliva and that mixture is called ant bread.

They only need seeds but a variety is optimal especially insect protein.
But that's messor barbarus that's about how far my knowledge goes

Kaelwizard is talking about Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#29 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 11 2019 - 11:21 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
In my experience, the Pogonomyrmex colonies I feed mostly seeds, some dried insects, and a cricket maybe once a month do very well.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#30 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 12 2019 - 7:37 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Please people use latin names when referring to your ants. Messor spp. are very different from Pogonomyrmex spp. and a lot of the advice outside of "give them seeds" is not going to be transferable. 

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, NickAnter and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#31 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 13 2019 - 2:00 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

Please people use latin names when referring to your ants. Messor spp. are very different from Pogonomyrmex spp. and a lot of the advice outside of "give them seeds" is not going to be transferable.

Idk if you're talking about me but I did.
Not in the title of the thread but in the first post and a couple in between.
I wanted to know about harvester ants in general and messor barbarus that's why I wasn't that specific in the title

Edited by AntaholicAnonymous, November 13 2019 - 2:01 AM.

#32 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 13 2019 - 2:16 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have 2 colonies of Messor barbarus. One around 70w and one around 30. Both begun with just a queen.

They never touch sugarwater or any other nectar or fluid, or in a really rare occasion, they would just bury it. They do need a tube of water. They live a dry area but definitely add a tube of water.

They almsost never touch insects, really sometimes a small piece of cricket will be accepted. Also really rare, mostly they just dump it as garbage. dead Fruit flies has the bigger chance to be dragged into the nest. But only seeds will do. Especially dandelion. They love it. Definitly a favorite.

When a Colony of M. barbarus is big, they almost accept everything. In the beginning u just need to have patience. And with a small amount of seeds they already come so far. No needs to buy tons. Insects is definitly not needed in such a small colony. In 2 years they only accepted twice or so a piece of cricket. It doesnt boost them.

What does boost them is leaving them alone. They hate every movement and gets alot stress. So try to take as less peeks into the formicarium. Rlly u will see the difference in growth.

That's my experience with messor.

I don't have mayors yet, but the big media is starting to develop. It's a dream species

#33 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 13 2019 - 12:02 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
That's very helpful thanks.
The video of messor barbarus eating tons of insects was a fairly large colony so they probably start taking them more later on.

I'll buy a colony with around 50 workers cause they'll be housed in a natural setup right when they get here.
So they will never have any disturbance really. I heard that they do best in natural setups and that's what they gonna get. I wanna sort of recreate their natural environment with my own twist in it.

I'll still have to learn by observing their behavior and reactions but I'm glad I got some fellow ant keepers who made sure I know enough to make them happy.

Thanks again

#34 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 14 2019 - 1:24 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

The video of messor barbarus eating tons of insects was a fairly large colony so they probably start taking them more later on.

I'll buy a colony with around 50 workers cause they'll be housed in a natural setup right when they get here.
So they will never have any disturbance really. I heard that they do best in natural setups and that's what they gonna get. I wanna sort of recreate their natural environment with my own twist in it.

I'll still have to learn by observing their behavior and reactions but I'm glad I got some fellow ant keepers who made sure I know enough to make them happy.

Thanks again

I have them also with a natural outworld. Yet they both still live in testtubes attached to it. They rlly don't need that much at their first years

#35 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 19 2019 - 3:21 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

Thanks again

I have them also with a natural outworld. Yet they both still live in testtubes attached to it. They rlly don't need that much at their first years

Natural outworld as in decorated in a naturalistic way or plants, soil, sand and so on?

I'd like to know if they just don't wander out much or if they prefer the test tubes over digging a nest cause I wanna have them in soil right away.

#36 Offline Wa.Va - Posted November 24 2019 - 8:21 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
From the moment water touches the ground, they start to dig in it. So i think it's very possible to give a colony of that size a natural digging outworld. Because mine still lives in test tubes, there isn't enough substrate to dig in. And there are always ants around in the outworld, especially at the water reservoir.

#37 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 24 2019 - 11:37 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

From the moment water touches the ground, they start to dig in it. So i think it's very possible to give a colony of that size a natural digging outworld. Because mine still lives in test tubes, there isn't enough substrate to dig in. And there are always ants around in the outworld, especially at the water reservoir.

I'll have them in a full natural tank.
You can't see everything inside the nest but it's more like watching them in their natural environment.
Most of us know exactly what happens inside the nest so I happily trade that view with seeing their natural behavior.

Aside from that if you place heating pads they build against the glass so you can see how they make tunnels and chambers.

Not having to worry about mold or cleaning up is also a big plus if you make it bioactive wich I highly suggest.
Springtails alone make everything so much easier
  • FSTP likes this

#38 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 4 2019 - 1:43 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

So I have Veromessor pergandei, and while I know they are pretty different, I just have to say mine looooooooove cut up mealworms and have become ultra picky about seeds. They will stop and bring back dead mealworms but I haven't seen them hauling seed back in ages. In fact will walk all over seeds and ignore them....

I also have a new colony of Pogonomyrmex californicus and I'm still not really sure what they are doing. They bury their nectar in sand and seem to ignore cut up mealworms. I keep adding seeds but because they are in dirt, I don't really know which, if any, they have taken into their nest.

• Broncos likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#39 Offline Broncos - Posted December 6 2019 - 5:59 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

So I have Veromessor pergandei, and while I know they are pretty different, I just have to say mine looooooooove cut up mealworms and have become ultra picky about seeds. They will stop and bring back dead mealworms but I haven't seen them hauling seed back in ages. In fact will walk all over seeds and ignore them....

I also have a new colony of Pogonomyrmex californicus and I'm still not really sure what they are doing. They bury their nectar in sand and seem to ignore cut up mealworms. I keep adding seeds but because they are in dirt, I don't really know which, if any, they have taken into their nest.

Judging from my experience and Drew’s, they love amaranth seeds and poppy seeds.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#40 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 9 2019 - 1:53 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Judging from my experience and Drew’s, they love amaranth seeds and poppy seeds.

I have a couple different seed mixes and I keep putting a bit in, so hopefully the P. californicus are taking some. I just pulled out a bunch of seedlings and mold clumps and added some springtails. I'll assume they are doing okay though they have dumped maybe half a dozen corpses topside.

Meanwhile my V. pergandei were deprived of mealworms for a week and actually picked up a few tiny round seeds, possibly amaranth (I sorta can't remember what seeds I bought at Whole Foods' bulk bins section). A long time ago they pulled in some wild dandelion seeds too. Meanwhile their outworld is littered with seeds. So picky.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users