• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What ant species should I get next?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 4 2019 - 3:28 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
What's up.
I wanna get a new ant colony next season and since it'll be one of 2 I wanna keep for a very long time I wanna be educated on the best species I can look out for.

I have manica rubida wich are large European fire ants and since I keep both colonys in large natural setups I need active ants like manica that are a lot on the surface.

Since there's many people keeping camponotus I thought I'd ask if you got any recommendations or any things that are good to know about camponotus since I haven't had much experience with them.

#2 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 4 2019 - 3:32 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Or any other species but I had my eyes on camponotus cause I like large ants but I'm open for anything

#3 Offline Broncos - Posted November 4 2019 - 5:49 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Well, camponotus take sooooo long to grow and if your in Europe, they hibernate. They may be good if you are the patient type. I personally love pogonomyrmex because of their wide variety of food interests. But they are not the easiest to keep. Because sometimes the queens just die.
I am looking forward to getting a pheidole hyatti because they are fast growing and amazing to watch and, can have multiple queens. The only downer is that they are small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TylrsAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 4 2019 - 6:38 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You should get messor barbarus or pheidole pallidula. Both species are polymorphic and the former is a seed harvester.

#5 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 4 2019 - 7:35 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

Well, camponotus take sooooo long to grow and if your in Europe, they hibernate. They may be good if you are the patient type. I personally love pogonomyrmex because of their wide variety of food interests. But they are not the easiest to keep. Because sometimes the queens just die.
I am looking forward to getting a pheidole hyatti because they are fast growing and amazing to watch and, can have multiple queens. The only downer is that they are small.

I'm patient but I don't wanna wait 3 years to get a decent colony.
The best for me would be a species where I know the location of a wild nest to boost them.

I have that situation with my manica colony they take long too and next season I'll boost the hell out of them and introduce more queens later.

I don't see myself getting smaller ants tho I kept lasius for about 4 years and especially with my massive natural tanks I do I wouldn't be able to see very much action.
  • Broncos likes this

#6 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 4 2019 - 7:40 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I think one of my best bets would be to look for camponotus nests. Then ID them if they seem fitting to me and then try to catch or buy a queen and boost her after her first season.

I could do a smaller set up with some pheidole but I need large ants for my next tank I wanna do.
  • Broncos likes this

#7 Offline Broncos - Posted November 4 2019 - 7:40 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I'm patient but I don't wanna wait 3 years to get a decent colony.
The best for me would be a species where I know the location of a wild nest to boost them.

I have that situation with my manica colony they take long too and next season I'll boost the hell out of them and introduce more queens later.

I don't see myself getting smaller ants tho I kept lasius for about 4 years and especially with my massive natural tanks I do I wouldn't be able to see very much action.
Yea I agree. I would go with a messor species because they don’t take to long to grow and are polymorphic. What is your idea?

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#8 Offline Broncos - Posted November 4 2019 - 7:43 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
There are lots of ants to be sold in Europe for cheap. I wish it was that easy in California. I have to pay about $100 for an ant colony.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 4 2019 - 3:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If I were you, I would like Lasius flavus.  Their coloring is amazing, though they are relatively slow growing and small.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 4 2019 - 4:09 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Camponotus nicobarensis is fast growing and easy to keep, and does not need to hibernate as it is a tropical species. 

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 4 2019 - 6:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
One issue with Camponotus in a natural set up is that you’ll basically never see them. I had a 50 worker colony in a tank this summer, and I only saw one or two foragers every few days.
I think really active and fast growing ants are best for natural set ups. How about Crematogaster scutellaris?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 5 2019 - 3:26 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

There are lots of ants to be sold in Europe for cheap. I wish it was that easy in California. I have to pay about $100 for an ant colony.

Weed is legal in Cali you don't have the right to complain. lol

But I think where I live there's a lot more species and way more queens available due to the environment.
Lots of forests and grasslands that's ideal for ants Cali is pretty hot and dry in comparison.

Many colonies are probably imported so I can imagine many test tubes have been in 3 different anuses and over several borders before you get them so that has its prize. haha

#13 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 5 2019 - 4:24 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Messor sounds pretty good to me actually.
I don't have any experience with them but they seem interesting.

They are also very easy to buy where I live.
I'll probably go with messor barbarus.
I'm so glad I asked cause I would have been pretty disappointed with camponotus.

I love this forum in general.
Before this I bothered friends and family with this stuff and even tho all people I talked with think ants are awesome and interesting you're still not gonna stumble upon many ant keepers.
  • Broncos likes this

#14 Offline Broncos - Posted November 5 2019 - 6:15 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

But I think where I live there's a lot more species and way more queens available due to the environment.
Lots of forests and grasslands that's ideal for ants Cali is pretty hot and dry in comparison.

Many colonies are probably imported so I can imagine many test tubes have been in 3 different anuses and over several borders before you get them so that has its prize. haha
Yea but we have lots of pogonomyrmex in the desert areas. I went to a large forest and found what it seems to be rainbow ants. But mostly carpenter ants in forests. It was cool to see another species of ant that I had never seen before.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#15 Offline Broncos - Posted November 5 2019 - 6:20 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I'm so glad I asked cause I would have been pretty disappointed with camponotus.

Before this I bothered friends and family with this stuff and even tho all people I talked with think ants are awesome and interesting you're still not gonna stumble upon many ant keepers.

So true. Although my friends don’t want to hear any of it. I literally have one friend that says he might try ant keeping. that’s the one problem with ant keeping. You can’t relate to anyone.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 5 2019 - 6:24 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I have a couple friends who are pretty interested. The others think I'm bonkers.

So true. Although my friends don’t want to hear any of it. I literally have one friend that says he might try ant keeping. that’s the one problem with ant keeping. You can’t relate to anyone.

• TennesseeAnts, Broncos, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 5 2019 - 8:22 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
[quote name="NickAnter" post="131251" timestamp="1572963896"]

I have a couple friends who are pretty interested. The others think I'm bonkers.

I think the trick is njt to talk about it too often and not get into detail.

I always bring up army ants and the bridges they make out of themselves over water or in between gaps.
Things like the bullet ant sting and weaver ants webbing their nest or anything that's normal to us but sounds crazy to people who only see them on the sidewalk.

I keep being asked about them every now and then.
It also helps having a pretty setup. If I show a couple moldy acrylics with critters inside of course they don't feel it.
But the first thing that people wanna look at when they come over is the big fire ants in the large natural tank I made.

If you present it right you can get more people exited about ants then I thought
  • ANTdrew, Broncos and TylrsAnts like this

#18 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 5 2019 - 12:11 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

California, the state, has more species than any European nation save for Spain. Even with Spain, the difference is menial enough a few reclassifications could turn the tide. I also highly, highly doubt that any European nation has a higher biomass of ants than California, but there are no scientific studies I could find on the subject; It would only be speculation.

Edited by Mdrogun, November 5 2019 - 12:12 PM.

• ANTdrew, Broncos and DDD101DDD like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#19 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 5 2019 - 12:59 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

California, the state, has more species than any European nation save for Spain. Even with Spain, the difference is menial enough a few reclassifications could turn the tide. I also highly, highly doubt that any European nation has a higher biomass of ants than California, but there are no scientific studies I could find on the subject; It would only be speculation.

In Europe, however, it is legal to keep exotic ants, so while the native diversity may be paltry there compared to North America, a much wider variety of ants are available to hobbyists.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#20 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 5 2019 - 3:28 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
We'll I've been to Cali and the land seemed quite dry so I assumed there not to be as many ants due to viewer resources of such environments.

I mainly said that cause I thought about how awkward it would be to be caught at the airport with an exotic ant colony in your anus but thanks for the clarification.

Both europe and US are in the shadow of tropical countries cause they have the most interesting species over there in my opinion.
  • Mdrogun, Broncos and Antennal_Scrobe like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users