• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Disaster with my tetramorium colony

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vern530 - Posted October 30 2019 - 8:47 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
So I have my tetramorium colony in an aquarium with soil and sand. I was cleaning out some debris in the soil(wood chips and such )and I dug right into my queen her workers and brood and they were temporarily buried. My question is does any one know if they would be able to recover brood in that situation.the queen and quite a few of workers and brood made it out but I feel like a lot more pupae that wee ready to hatch might still be buried.any thoughts?ps it’s pretty loose mix of soil and sand-not really packed down.

#2 Offline Deia - Posted October 30 2019 - 8:55 PM

Deia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Maybe use something like a makeup brush to remove the soil? I accidentally smooshed brood the other day but it turns out they weren't damaged very much, and the ants just dug them out of the cotton ball.

edit: I realized you might not have a makeup brush... I see them regularly at dollar stores. They don't need to be high quality.

Edited by Deia, October 30 2019 - 8:57 PM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 31 2019 - 2:18 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think they’ll be alright as long as the queen and a worker force remains. She’ll replace the lost brood in no time, so I’d think of this as more of a setback than a disaster.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Vern530 - Posted October 31 2019 - 6:49 AM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
For sure that’s a relief.still feel bad cause I know they had pupae ready to enclose

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 31 2019 - 1:25 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Tetra queens lay 24/7 unless it's diapause, so give her some darkness and humidity and everything will be okay :)
  • Skwiggledork likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 31 2019 - 3:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Tetra queens lay 24/7 unless it's diapause, so give her some darkness and humidity and everything will be okay :)

He speaks truth. The pace of their growth is downright frightening at times.
  • Skwiggledork likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I’d think of this as more of a setback than a disaster.

Not much of a setback, though....

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 1 2019 - 7:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I’d think of this as more of a setback than a disaster.

Not much of a setback, though....
Facts. My colony lost 1,000 members in a jailbreak. That was a setback.
  • AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users