• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My pheidole are producing majors in the second generation! Why?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aidanthielman - Posted October 24 2019 - 3:43 PM

Aidanthielman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California
My pheidole hyatti are producing soldiers in their second generation. I’ve heard they develop when the ants feel threatened or at being disturbed to much, but I don’t disturb them much only to feed them or when I check on them every now and then. I’m just confused, if you have an answer or a theory let me know why it is!

Btw not complaining because I love majors just wondering why😄

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 24 2019 - 3:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Pheidole just develop quickly. My Pheidole bicarinata colony has 100 workers and 15 majors.

#3 Offline Aidanthielman - Posted October 24 2019 - 4:01 PM

Aidanthielman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok so I do t have to worry I’m bothering them to much :)

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 24 2019 - 4:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

yeah, they grow quickly. some have majors in their first gen

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 25 2019 - 5:30 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ok so I do t have to worry I’m bothering them to much :)

It also depends on the amount of protein consumption

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline Aidanthielman - Posted October 25 2019 - 6:04 AM

Aidanthielman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Ohh that makes sense I feed them a lot of mealworms. It seems to be their favorite meal, along with cut up apples.

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted October 25 2019 - 7:56 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Because they are Pheidole and that's what they do.

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 25 2019 - 12:13 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Because they are Pheidole and that's what they do.

yeah, because of the size differences, and their fast growing nature, they are protein behemoths
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#9 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 25 2019 - 3:37 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I think that in the ant keeping community we over-play the effects that environmental conditions have on Pheidole spp. major production. I know in the case of Pheidole bicarinata it is very heavily tied in with how many other majors are present in the nest,  how big those majors are, etc. Obviously food intake also plays a role in major production. 

The only scientific paper I found that looked at a change in major production, focused on how Solenopsis invicta attacks on the ant Pheidole dentata changed the composition of worker castes in the colony. It didn't change it at all. Even with a high need for defense, a task very commonly assigned to majors in the genus Pheidole, no more majors were produced than if the colony hadn't been attacked.

If anyone finds a mistake, something I'm missing, or something to add, please, speak up. Whenever I do posts like these on the forum my goal is to simply look at a question, break it down, then see what the most scientifically-supported answer is. 

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 26 2019 - 5:04 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think that in the ant keeping community we over-play the effects that environmental conditions have on Pheidole spp. major production. I know in the case of Pheidole bicarinata it is very heavily tied in with how many other majors are present in the nest,  how big those majors are, etc. Obviously food intake also plays a role in major production. 

The only scientific paper I found that looked at a change in major production, focused on how Solenopsis invicta attacks on the ant Pheidole dentata changed the composition of worker castes in the colony. It didn't change it at all. Even with a high need for defense, a task very commonly assigned to majors in the genus Pheidole, no more majors were produced than if the colony hadn't been attacked.

If anyone finds a mistake, something I'm missing, or something to add, please, speak up. Whenever I do posts like these on the forum my goal is to simply look at a question, break it down, then see what the most scientifically-supported answer is.

Maybe the protein consumption stayed the same and thus, couldn't produce more majors

#11 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 27 2019 - 5:33 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Maybe the protein consumption stayed the same and thus, couldn't produce more majors

This was a mature colony that they studied. More than 3,000 workers. If majors were more advantageous than minors, more would of been produced. Wild colonies make sacrifices like this all the time. The same study also stated that during the reproductive season, when mature colonies are producing alates, they produced far fewer majors.

• Canadian anter and DDD101DDD like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic