• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Subdentatus (Polygny?!?!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Apex - Posted October 28 2019 - 8:27 AM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Recently I've been noticing far more of the founding chambers I have dug up of this species have had several queens in them 4-8 respectively. Now I know some pogonomyrmex species might bud in large groups and found together initially, usually the dominant queens with the aid of the workers kill the other queens. However in the past two years which I have experimented with this species,  some of my larger colonies that have several queens and multiple workers are still not acting aggressive towards one another. Is it possible that subdentatus similarly to subdinitus can be polygynous? 

#2 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted October 28 2019 - 9:22 AM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

A good portion of species have a polygynous variety that is limited to certain areas.

Edited by Somethinghmm, October 28 2019 - 9:22 AM.

#3 Offline Apex - Posted October 28 2019 - 12:48 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

A good portion of species have a polygynous variety that is limited to certain areas.

While that is true subdentatus branches off from the occidentalis sub species in a way. So polygyny would definitely be odd. Is there any other possible explanation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users