• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Odontoponera Queens are hopeless

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:16 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

It's been almost 2 months and they have done absolutely nothing. I gave them food but refused to eat. I have 2 Odontomachus queens (1 with wings and another without) and i gave the wingless trapjaw a piece of a fitbar which has protein and I think its eating it.

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:34 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Are you sure they haven't eaten? There's no other way they could still be alive if they didn't eat.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#3 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:37 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Are you sure they haven't eaten? There's no other way they could still be alive if they didn't eat.

the food is just at the entrance they probably eat the cotton since i think i saw cotton in their mandibles

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:41 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

the food is just at the entrance they probably eat the cotton since i think i saw cotton in their mandibles

There's really no nutrition in cotton. They're probably just taking some out and arranging it so it's more comfortable. 

#5 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:42 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

they mostly are on the cotton area and NOT EAT THE FOOD I GIVE THEM and just remains at the entrance forever

#6 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:44 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

You never really know if they eat or not, single ant queens can be really shy. They're not at the point where they have to drag in the entire insect in to feed their brood, because they don't have any.

#7 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:52 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

You never really know if they eat or not, single ant queens can be really shy. They're not at the point where they have to drag in the entire insect in to feed their brood, because they don't have any.

i don't feed them insects often and mainly human food. recently gave them a piece of a protein bar

#8 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 19 2019 - 7:53 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

i don't feed them insects often and mainly human food. recently gave them a piece of a protein bar

Why? Why aren't you feeding insects more often?

Edited by DDD101DDD, October 19 2019 - 7:56 PM.

#9 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 8:04 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Why? Why aren't you feeding insects more often?

insects don't want to exist

#10 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 8:05 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

The stuff i need really lack here so i have to use alternatives

#11 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 19 2019 - 8:14 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

You literally see queens in your house. How are there no insects? Either way, you can buy insect feeders at most pet stores, or on amazon. In the case that you can't find a link to it, here is a link. https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

Human food cannot be considered a alternative, because not much research has been done on using human food as long term ant food. Because of this lack of information, we must stick to what we do know and feed insects to our ants.

#12 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 19 2019 - 8:50 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

You literally see queens in your house. How are there no insects? Either way, you can buy insect feeders at most pet stores, or on amazon. In the case that you can't find a link to it, here is a link. https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

Human food cannot be considered a alternative, because not much research has been done on using human food as long term ant food. Because of this lack of information, we must stick to what we do know and feed insects to our ants.

i don't use amazon

and can't

#13 Offline Leo - Posted October 19 2019 - 11:19 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i don't use amazon

and can't

You live in the Philippines, and you found queens I can merely dream of, so don't give me that "can't find stuff" bs. Go outside and kick a rotten log, you are almost certain to find termites. In my opinion, you are being kinda lazy. But that's my opinion, prove me wrong.

• NickAnter, Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, Antennal_Scrobe and 2 others like this

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 6:09 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Is this going to be like the glass test tubes are pointless thread? Please prove its not.
  • Pumpkin_Loves_Ants likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#15 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted October 20 2019 - 6:56 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
I reallllyyyy think you need to stop checking on them. You provide the food you give them in a water bottle cap correct? Put some of whatever carbohydrates you use into it and check back on them in a week. Before I think I say you say you check them every couple of days so stress could be a big factor.

Also they have to be eating the food otherwise they would not be alive. Like in the thread you created before, they are probably eating it when they feel it is safe to go out and forage. When your checking on them would not be on of those times.

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, October 20 2019 - 6:58 AM.

• DDD101DDD and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 7:00 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Yeah, I step rested my one queen out too much and she ate all her brood
*stressed

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#17 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 20 2019 - 9:56 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I think you need to start a journal.

• Pumpkin_Loves_Ants likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#18 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 10:02 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

for sure

#19 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 20 2019 - 2:23 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

The truth is that 90% of ants need insect meat to survive, especially ponerines like your Odontoponera. If you somehow can't find insects then find a pet store and buy some mealworms.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#20 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 20 2019 - 2:24 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

The truth is that 90% of ants need insect meat to survive, especially ponerines like your Odontoponera. If you somehow can't find insects then find a pet store and buy some mealworms.

True dat, that's what i did

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users