• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aeacus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 16 2019 - 7:43 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
https://www.antkeepi...sin-nest-medium

Has anyone used these before? Are they any good? Kinda inexpensive which is good, but also concerning that its maybe not good quality.

I mean they look really cool

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 17 2019 - 12:37 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I ordered one of these for my Myrmica colony, you can find the vendor on Formiculture. Mine hasn't come yet, but it seems innovative and foolproof. I also like the small size and cramped interior, as weird as that may seem. 

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, October 17 2019 - 12:37 PM.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 17 2019 - 12:47 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

I ordered one of these for my Myrmica colony, you can find the vendor on Formiculture. Mine hasn't come yet, but it seems innovative and foolproof. I also like the small size and cramped interior, as weird as that may seem.

I was trying to make something VERY similar last year with firebrick for an Acromyrmex Versicolor colony.

The idea was a more natural looking but still large almost cave like structure for the fungus.

Wonder how this would do, if it could do the trick for a possible colony next year. I still love Acromyrmex and would love to try and get a colony going, even if they are difficult as all heck.

Edited by Kalidas, October 17 2019 - 12:48 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 17 2019 - 2:36 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

How much humidity do Acromyrmex need? If they don't need too much, then this should be great for them, especially since it has a very uniform and constant humidity source which isn't prone to fluctuation.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline Golgo13 - Posted October 17 2019 - 3:23 PM

Golgo13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have my Camponotus 02’s in one. No complaints. It would be nice if the water tank was a tad bigger but it lasts about a week between fills

#6 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 17 2019 - 3:51 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

How much humidity do Acromyrmex need? If they don't need too much, then this should be great for them, especially since it has a very uniform and constant humidity source which isn't prone to fluctuation.

The ants themselves done need a lot, the fungus though... Needs a BUNCH you want 75% or even higher

#7 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 17 2019 - 3:57 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

I have my Camponotus 02’s in one. No complaints. It would be nice if the water tank was a tad bigger but it lasts about a week between fills

Good to know, I am going to be getting some of those too was curious about these.

I wonder if there is a good way to add a thin layer of grout(or a non harming adhesive) and sprinkle a bit if reptile sand to give it an even better natural look

Edited by Kalidas, October 17 2019 - 4:03 PM.

#8 Offline Del - Posted October 22 2019 - 2:59 AM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

I often wish the same thing with my colonies, particularly in the summer. Unfortunately I couldn't increase the volume of the watertank without making the whole nest taller and I didn't think that would look as good. It should be noted that the the nest body itself can rest on any sized container of water, so at a pinch you could rig something up to make the water last quite a long time.

Depending on interest long-term, I might make taller water tanks available in the future.

#9 Offline skocko76 - Posted May 15 2020 - 6:23 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I own Aeacus Corinth small and medium nests (v1) and am supper happy with them.

Ants love them.

I did notice that the smallest one (Corinth founding nest) is no longer produced, and the "small" is a tad too big for that purpose.

Del, is there a particular reason why the founding nest has been discontinued?

Also, did you change the resin material? I see the v2 has grooved texture (or fingerprints from creating the mold) -  is that intentional?

I found the answers to my questions in the forum.

Fitting it with a taller water tank would make you have to elevate your outworld further up, to level the holes. At least my outwords have pretty low placed connector openings.

I haven't had issues with ants exposed to light, they adapt very quickly. So for me the cover is not necessary. I have experimented with red acrylic in the past. The only thing I achieved was obstructed red view in, and stressed out ants when I'd remove it to take a better look.

I do wonder whether the 1/3 and 2/3 hydration tiles proved to significantly impact the nest humidity. They cannot be obtained via AKD, and not sure if they're still an accessory.

Those are some great nests people! I'm sure to get some more of them.

Edited by skocko76, May 15 2020 - 6:36 AM.

• Del and ANTdrew like this

#10 Offline Del - Posted July 25 2020 - 5:14 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU
Just thought I would put the answers here for everyone to access. I'm not on these forums as often as I would like so apologies for the late reply.

The 1/3 and 1/2 tiles were not profitable for me to make, and I noticed marginal benefits in most cases. In nest styles with a single tile slot they can be useful, but often the queen will compensate by placing brood in different locations. I'm still experimenting on ways to mass produce them.

The current (V2) production method involves digitally sculpting the nest form, printing then casting. I try to reduce the surface texture as much as possible, but it still visible at times.

This method allows me to offer the products at a reduced price, which seemed pretty important. In a world where you can get an acrylic nest off AliExpress for a couple of dollars, it might be hard to justify spending several times that on a different style.

It has become clear to me that the balance still isn't there, and most customers want an even cheaper product. V3 will try to retain what makes AEACUS nests unique (replaceable hydration, water tank, tunnel sculpture) but use a different production method to make each individual nest as affordable as possible.

Hope that helps and thankyou for the continued support!

Edited by Del, July 25 2020 - 5:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users