• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

P. Occidentalis, C. castaneus and M. minimum journal (vtyler98)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline vtyler98 - Posted October 14 2019 - 6:32 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

A few pics and short video of some of my colonies. First off a nearly 2 year old C. castaneus colony with several hundred workers.

PLIs4dm.mp4

My 7 queen M. minimum colony, this is nearly 1 year old and has had a population explosion all year. This colony started with 7 queens and probably 50 workers and some brood when I collected it. No idea how many workers there are now, it’s tough to tell they are so tiny and numerous.

Also my P. occidentalis colony. I have two of these, one in a THA fortress and another in a clay setup. Both are doing well, both queens were purchased from THA a few weeks ago.

vYXyjKk.mp4

Of note with my P. occidentalis. They do not seem to handle sugars well, at least for me. The colony in the clay setup was doing great, I decided to try a small amount of the honey and some ant nectar I use for all my other colonies. The next morning there were 2 dead workers so I quickly removed it and since then no additional deaths. My other colony has been fed seeds only and hasn’t lost a worker yet. Perhaps it was coincidence but I know retroman on here advised years ago to avoid sugars for harvester ants as it was also detrimental in his experience. Seeds and freeze dried insects are the primary diet for them.

Well that’s all for now, enjoy!

Edited by vtyler98, May 26 2020 - 5:08 PM.

• NickAnter, DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline vtyler98 - Posted November 1 2019 - 5:51 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The Pogonomyrmex colony in the Fortress seems to be doing well. There are 15+ workers now and a good amount of brood. They’re putting stuff on the glass already so getting harder to take pictures of them.

The other colony is in a clay/dirt setup and doing even better. Now 20+ workers and exploding in growth, they’re going through food FAST right now. Diet consists of seeds and occasional freeze dried insects, no sweets. Temps are 90-95 just above the soil surface and 88-92 in the upper 1-2” of soil. Deeper down it drops into the low to mid 80s which gives them a nice temperature gradient to work with as they see fit. Here’s a brief clip of them foraging.

4CR8wF2.mp4
  • YsTheAnt and TennesseeAnts like this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 2 2019 - 5:58 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I love the M. minimum! I like small ants a lot. Too bad my Solenopsis molesta queen died...
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted November 2 2019 - 6:17 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I like medium sized ants, but that's probably because I just finished my second season

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 2 2019 - 10:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The C. castaneus have striking coloration.

• vtyler98 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline vtyler98 - Posted November 3 2019 - 9:27 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The C. castaneus have striking coloration.

Thanks, they are indeed pretty awesome! They exploded in growth this summer and it’s pretty cool seeing the majors now. They are also extremely aggressive now. 

#7 Offline vtyler98 - Posted May 23 2020 - 3:40 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just a brief update here. My Pogonomyrmex colony in the dirt setup has exploded in growth. Well over 300 workers now, this video was taken 2 months ago. The rock in the back right has now been covered entirely with dirt...

My C. castaneus colony has plenty of brood and is starting to take off.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 3:46 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That camponotus is indeed an awesome colony. How much care do they require?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
How did you get those videos on your posts? I’ve been trying to do that! Imgur doesn’t allow me to drag videos into my posts.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Online dspdrew - Posted May 23 2020 - 6:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How did you get those videos on your posts? I’ve been trying to do that! Imgur doesn’t allow me to drag videos into my posts.

You just need to past the URL of the video (not an html page) into your post. MP4, Ogg, or Webm files will work.

#11 Offline vtyler98 - Posted May 25 2020 - 5:39 PM

vtyler98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

That camponotus is indeed an awesome colony. How much care do they require?

They’re super easy they just eat a ton. They can go through a full vial of the byformica large feeder in a few hours lol and they eat a lot. Other than that though they are extremely low maintenance. They’re currently in a Nucleus and I am working on getting them to move over to the largest formicarium THA makes as they’ve packed the nucleus out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users