• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Soil has gotten whitish

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 8 2019 - 7:49 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

What are other human food alternatives

I don't know of any human food alternatives currently but other members may. Some people have had success with feeding them bloodworms. I will post a link to the topic discussing the "Bloodworm Soup" here http://www.formicult.../?hl=bloodworms

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#22 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 8 2019 - 9:17 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
don't know about these species but I have my ants slices of Turkey ham before. I also have tried bits of chicken. Nothing fried just plain old meats, probably wouldn't be as favorable as insects.

#23 Offline Wa.Va - Posted October 9 2019 - 2:04 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Try to have a bit more ventilation. Also if u turn over the dirt, so the white stuff goes under, It should help to get rid of the molt.

If u keep having this problem, u can always use some sand. I know for sure u will find some in your area. U don't need that much.

Also, i think u look at the queen a bit too much. Try to leave her alone for more than a week and u will be surprised of the evolution.

Just don't respond on the reactions that isn't about your questions. And u will be saved. Only respond if its ant related.

I have the feeling we are stuck in a loop here. So i don't want to hear you saying you are leaving or something while making another thread. And repeating everything.

We love ants, we love everyone who love ants. Pro or amateur. We all have to start somewhere
  • Pumpkin_Loves_Ants likes this

#24 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 2:06 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Try to have a bit more ventilation. Also if u turn over the dirt, so the white stuff goes under, It should help to get rid of the molt.

If u keep having this problem, u can always use some sand. I know for sure u will find some in your area. U don't need that much.

Also, i think u look at the queen a bit too much. Try to leave her alone for more than a week and u will be surprised of the evolution.

Just don't respond on the reactions that isn't about your questions. And u will be saved. Only respond if its ant related.

I have the feeling we are stuck in a loop here. So i don't want to hear you saying you are leaving or something while making another thread. And repeating everything.

We love ants, we love everyone who love ants. Pro or amateur. We all have to start somewhere

WHAT DOES TURN OVER MEAN? LIKE LITERALLY TURN OVER?!?!?

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#25 Offline Wa.Va - Posted October 9 2019 - 2:56 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I think you forgot your CapsLock..

It means, turn it around. Mix it. Or maybe easier, get everything out, shake it and put it back.

#26 Offline Leo - Posted October 9 2019 - 5:04 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Highlytze, this sort of stuff is half the reason we annoy you. Wa.Va gave you a very sensible answer, and if you don't understand it, ask. Since we can't physically yell at people online, caps are seen as a sign of aggression, that you dislike what that person is saying and that you are screaming and yelling and unhappy in general. If Wa.Va's answer is like the usual BS that I post on your threads, that would be fine. But it isn't, try to refrain from being cocky and ask nicely, that way others will be much more willing to help.

P.S. Yes, he means turn it over.

• Pumpkin_Loves_Ants and DDD101DDD like this

#27 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 5:07 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Highlytze, this sort of stuff is half the reason we annoy you. Wa.Va gave you a very sensible answer, and if you don't understand it, ask. Since we can't physically yell at people online, caps are seen as a sign of aggression, that you dislike what that person is saying and that you are screaming and yelling and unhappy in general. If Wa.Va's answer is like the usual BS that I post on your threads, that would be fine. But it isn't, try to refrain from being cocky and ask nicely, that way others will be much more willing to help.

i used caps because people kept saying turn over without context 

#28 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted October 9 2019 - 6:31 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

How much clearer do you need it to be? Do you need us to provide the definition of the words Turn and Over? If you still haven’t grasped the concept you need to take out the tube with the queen in it and start mixing up the soil.
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#29 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 6:35 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

How much clearer do you need it to be? Do you need us to provide the definition of the words Turn and Over? If you still haven’t grasped the concept you need to take out the tube with the queen in it and start mixing up the soil.
[censored] you calling me dumb?

#30 Offline Leo - Posted October 9 2019 - 6:53 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Staph

Staph too

Just don't reply to people who insult you like me ok? if you insult them back, it gives them a reason to annoy you.

#31 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 6:54 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Why am I alive
What's my purpose other than to suffer
  • Enderz likes this

#32 Offline Leo - Posted October 9 2019 - 6:56 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

ver 1

This makes people annoy you

Version 2 (How I would respond)

Haha, sorry, I just misinterpreted it, that's all.

If you reply with something like this, people will be less likely to tease you.

Why am I alive

Stop, this is silly, I'm serious

Like, I get that you are upset, but this sort of stuff does not make it any better.

Edited by Leo, October 9 2019 - 6:57 AM.

#33 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 7:00 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Everyday is full of stress

#34 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 9 2019 - 7:07 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Can we get back on topic? Anyway, I don't think ants would be able to live without eating insects too, and (to my knowledge) there aren't many alternate food sources that ants can solely live off of.

#35 Offline Hightlyze - Posted October 9 2019 - 7:08 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
How about termites? They show up once in a while

#36 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 9 2019 - 7:10 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

How about termites? They show up once in a while

Termites are good ant food.

#37 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted October 9 2019 - 7:11 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
Termites would be good. Just remember to prekill them so the queens don’t hurt themselves trying to catch them. I have also heard termites are sensitive to pesticides and other chemicals so the ones that have ingested any would be dead.
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#38 Offline Wa.Va - Posted October 9 2019 - 9:00 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey, the loop started already? :) i told ya, anyway. Termites are indeed a good source, i think for u a good advice would be, most insects u can find will be good. Especially flies, spiders and tiny other creatures. But not alive. Give them dead. U can cut them half with a scissor or squeeze them with your finger.

Turn over

#39 Offline Silq - Posted October 9 2019 - 10:27 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Why am I alive

Everyday is full of stress

ah you understand everyday adult life.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#40 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 9 2019 - 2:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I would take the dirt out and replace it with sand.  That should fix it.  Also, don't hydrate the dirt/sand. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users