• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Empty Formicarium Niche

cryptic ants formicarium idea

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 5 2019 - 3:38 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I have noticed that there is a niche that must be filled in the world of antkeeping: formicaria for cryptic ants. I would imagine a small, humid petri dish like chamber with a low ceiling would be suitable as a nest, and that this nest could be connected to other such chambers, as well as different modules that would allow the insertion of food for the ants or the springtails they would be eating. I hope Ferox_Formicae sees this, he knows all about cryptic ants and could probably help with the design process for such a formicarium.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 5 2019 - 3:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Wonderful thing called a dirt filled petri dish.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 6 2019 - 11:45 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

That's what I'm doing for my Ponera, but I'm not really that confident that I won't drown my ants while trying to water the soil. I'm just surprised that there isn't any proper formicarium geared towards cryptic or tiny ants.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryptic ants, formicarium, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users