• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pheidole xerophila Journal [107] (Updated 2-5-2024)

pheidole xerophila journal dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 2:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 10-29-2017

I still have quite a few of these colonies and they seem to be doing a little better. They aren't growing much, but the deaths seem to have stopped.

One of the queens that died had what looked like some sort of white fungus mixed with some cotton strands growing on its thorax. The fungus kept growing larger until the queen was finally found dead. This isn't the first time I found what looks like fungus growing on the thorax of a Pheidole xerophila queen.

med_gallery_2_114_398027.jpg
  • T.C. and Chicken_eater100 like this

#42 Offline Derpy - Posted November 6 2017 - 9:41 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Are Pheidole easy species to keep. Or is your luck just bad at these.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 6 2017 - 10:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I really don't know.

#44 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted November 19 2017 - 10:18 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Wow, I've been neglecting my Pheidole colony and now it only has one worker. Reading this forum makes me feel bad for letting it die out. I'm definitely going to take better care of it from now on. Don't know what type, but if this helps, the nanatics are bright orange, tiny, and transparent.

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 20 2017 - 3:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, I've been neglecting my phiedole colony and now it only has one worker. Reading this forum makes me feel bad for letting it die out. I'm definitely going to take better care of it from now on. Don't know what type, but if this helps, the nanatics are bright orange, tiny, and transparent.

It's possible you have Solenopsis molesta, and not Pheidole. They're very common.

#46 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 1 2017 - 8:45 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I caught a S. molesta, so I know it's not that, and also she looks a lot like the pictures I see so I believe she's pheidole. I caught her in my pool though, and I thought pheidole where desert only and I live in a city on the other side of the mountain range that 

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2017 - 10:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I caught a S. molesta, so I know it's not that, and also she looks a lot like the pictures I see so I believe she's pheidole. I caught her in my pool though, and I thought pheidole where desert only and I live in a city on the other side of the mountain range that 

They are not found in the desert only.

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 13 2018 - 11:38 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-13-2018

Unfortunately almost all of these have slowly died off. Right now I have just one queen left with no workers and no brood.

#49 Offline Karma - Posted January 18 2018 - 10:19 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanada
Wow. At first I was very eager and excited to try and raise a pheidole colony, but these posts make them seem really hard to get going so I’m not so sure anymore. I’m sorry all these attempts have not gone well and I hope you have more success this year.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 28 2018 - 4:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-28-2018

The last queen died. I'll try again next season. :)

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 17 2018 - 1:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-17-2018

I found a few more of these queens in the desert the other day. After a few of them died, I'm left with two.

#52 Offline Jake - Posted July 17 2018 - 5:10 AM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Update 7-17-2018

I found a few more of these queens in the desert the other day. After a few of them died, I'm left with two.

Dang man, Looks like you havent had much luck with that species! Wish you better luck with these queens.

#53 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 17 2018 - 6:48 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

I caught a bunch of these a week ago and none have died yet (fingers crossed). I put two queens together and that tube is looking most promising so far. They have the largest brood pile and the queens groom each other all the time. Have you tried this with this species? 

#54 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 18 2018 - 12:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I might have had a few together at one time.

#55 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted September 26 2018 - 9:37 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
I caught two pheidole sp. Queens which so far seem to be this species. I guess we both have 2 of these then, how are yours doing currently? I just caught mine yesterday and today.
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#56 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 5 2018 - 5:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-5-2018

I found three more of these in Desert Center, CA after the very last storm of the summer went through on 10-14-2018.

Two of them got their first workers about two weeks ago. The third seems to be a dud. I just moved the two with workers into small starter formicariums.

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 27 2019 - 8:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-27-2019

Dead.... months ago.

#58 Offline Jackie - Posted April 1 2020 - 2:26 AM

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Are u gonna try again this season :)

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 10 2023 - 1:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-10-2023

I decided to give these a try again like I do ever year, but this time I only bothered to bring home one queen, and that one queen has now produced the biggest colony of these I've ever had.

I found it back around August 1st in Nipton, CA, and it got its first workers about a month later.

It's been about three months now and the colony is already up to around 100 workers. I don't see any majors yet, but it looks like there might be some on the way in that big pile of brood.

gallery_2_114_326643.jpg

gallery_2_114_1482645.jpg

• Karma, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 6 others like this

#60 Offline Hiromilovesmealworms - Posted November 10 2023 - 1:15 PM

Hiromilovesmealworms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yayyyyyyyy!!!! Finally. :D  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

• 100lols likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole xerophila, journal, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users